considering core sound 17

Guest Curtis

Guest Curtis

I am thinking about buying plans for the core sound 17 and wondered how hard it is too cut out the panels. It appears that I don't need to know how to loft; how do you shape the panels? Do the plans come with a pattern to trace onto the wood or is it just a lot easier than I imagine. Any recommendations for boat building books that would be helpful? I have never built a boat, but feel confident about being able to build one if I can get the panels and frame shaped correctly. Thanks for any advice. - Curtis

Guest Anonymous

Graham provides you with a dimensioned layout of the panels that you transfer to the plywood and then cut out. There is no difficulty in this process and full sized patterns would be overkill. Paper patterns change dimension with humidity and mylar patterns would cost you more than the plans.

The laying out of hull panels is not at all difficult but does require attention to detail to get the measurements layed down accurately. That is no different from any project that requires careful measurements. Measure twice and then check once more before cutting.

This is still the easiest way to make a good boat.

Graham provides you with quite a lot of info on "stitch & glue" boat building. For more info find: "Devlin's Boat Building" by Sam Devlin, which is available thru many book outlet, or thru his web site. His techniques are slightly different from Graham's, but it is a good primer on "stitch & glue."

http://devlinboat.com/

Curtis,

Bear in mind Graham has been teaching boatbuilding for 18 years. I doubt you could come up with a problem he hasn't already addressed.

The plans are very complete and easy to understand.

For me it worked best to sit down and read through the whole set of plans. Then, when I was ready to do something I'd read over that section a couple times and try to picture exactly what I wanted to accomplish and how I was going to do it. It kept surprises to a minimum.

You seem to be a rather cautious person anyway, you shouldn't have any trouble.

Buy a big pile of wood, go through the plans one step at a time, and before you know it the wood will be gone and there will be a boat there instead.

Guest Curtis

Thanks for the advice; I think Gordy is right about just buying the wood and going for it. I am going to look at more designs, but think the Core Sound is the one for me. Might also be a good idea to take a sailing lesson or two to make sure I like sailing! I grew up with power boats, but always wanted to learn to sail; I am sure it will be fun.

Hi Curtis,

I think you will find sailing to be a great thrill. Sailing is definately more complex than motorboating...propulsion requires much more than depressing a throttle. It is amazing to experience the thrill of feeling your small craft accelerate in a gust of wind...even though it is much slower than a powerboat, I think it is more exciting.

And of course, there are no words to adequately describe sailing in a boat that you created...go for it!

TOny