2/3 of NZ fleet on a day out

waynemunro

Went for my first sail in my weekender for the summer on Sunday, my partner Tricia and me in mine, and Robbo and his Wife Sharon in their weekender. It was great to be able to go out and sail with them, so thanks for the company guys... looking forward to the day that we get all three in the same place Buck.

The days sailing went pretty well, I was trying my new kevlar sail, which on the whole might not be everything that it cracked up to be, I think the material might be too stiff and is affecting performance.

We started off in 5-10 knots I think (no wind-meter), and cruised across the harbour and rounded an island where we stopped for picnic lunch. After that we headed back, the wind picked up a bit in the afternoon, up to around 20knots and gusting 25 at least (looked at the wind charts when i got home), but we managed to get everyone back safely. It is interesting that the luanch and recovery was the most tense activity of the whole trip, at the end every man and his dog was trying to get out of the water at the same time and the howling wind made it an interesting experience.

It was the first time we have had the two boats out together and it is fair to say that robbos has a fair advantage when pointing to the wind... I might have to do some investigating there :)

here are a couple of pictures from the day, but many more can be viewed on my website (a number of them taken by Sharon, so both boats can be seen in those photos, thanks for the shots guys)

http://www.waynemunro.com/grw/wayne/2004/2004_11/sailing/dir_small_70.html

or you can view the slideshow

http://www.waynemunro.com/gallery/show.php?d=wayne%2F2004%2F2004_11%2Fsailing%2F&start=1

note that it looks darker and stormier in some pictures than it actually was I think.

Thanks again for the company Robbo and we look forward to doing it again.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]