Forum Move in Process - Please Read

Frank Hagan

Change implemented as of 6/17/03, 9:30pm PT.

Links to pictures will look "broken" until the domain name resolves. I will transfer all messages on the old site to this one after 24 hours, then link folks through to this one with a temporary URL. If the pictures appear, then your path to the site has recognized the move. If not, hang on, and it will within 24 to 48 hours.

The new IP address will be 64.5.58.18. Messages are being left here, so not everyone has resolved to the new server yet. I noticed tonight that Tim Diebert is on the new server.

I'll switch over with a forwarding link tonight so that everyone will be forwarded. None of the images will come out right initially, but they should after your ISP's nameserver makes the change.

Well, nothing seems to be going as planned ...

The new server address for the forums is http://cpanel08.gzo.com/~fshagan/forum, and that should be associated with my new static IP address listed above. It isn't, but it is still associated with the original 64.5.48.99. The content there is synching with the content here, so there's no reason to go there. Because I have image "hot linking" disabled, all the graphics show up as red "x's". When the new server's address has propegated to your ISP, it should resolve there and the red x's will be gone.

Phil noticed that the nameserver addresses did not have IP addresses associated with them, which could delay the propegation of the new server address. I re-edited them this morning to include the correct IP addresses, so we may be in for some more confusion for another 24 - 48 hours. We'll see.

Thanks everyone for your patience. Wanted this one to go smoothly, but ... :cry:

Hmmm ... this is the latest error message from easymonitor.com on the OLD server:

Date            Time  Description            Duration  
06.18.2003  12:54  DNS lookup failed  16 mins  

The good news is that my "whois" search from one provider is showing the new IP address, so it is starting to propegate.

Frank,

I bow to your greatness!

I thank you for all the help and the time that you place into this site.

It is more that just a forum for boat building..... the info I have been able to receive is pricless.

thanks again .

your humble seaman recruit and fellow boat builder

captjack

No complaint Frank, but I am missing in action on the replies to Grahmn's thread of the boatshow, and to Bill in reply to his boat, cs17 and unable to locate any post of mine. even though they show up in the search engine. Thanks for the hard work. I thought I would pass along this, as maybe the right coast has lost contact with mission control. :wink:

There are a couple of days of posts missing, I think. The old server and the new are synching, but not that well (obviously!) I think my ISP has now recognized the new server, so it shouldn't be long for the rest of you. Then I'll see if I can get all the messages back.

Well, my ISP has resolved to the new site. In case you can't tell where you are :D you can go to the Gallery ... if you see an ugly notice that says:

WARNING! Site is moving!

Do not upload pictures!

None uploaded after 6/16/03 will be moved.

Regular uploading will resume after the site moves (and this message disappears). You can continue to view the pictures as normal until the site moves.

You are still on the old server. I'll track hits on it over the next two days before I close it down, just to make sure all of you get transferred over here.

64.5.48.99 is the new address (my static IP will be 64.5.58.18, but I'll wait to initiate that).

I think that I have the old server's path hard coded into some of the forum configuration software. I know I do for images. I get the broken links from the cpanel08.gzo.net URL because I have a .htaccess directive to allow linking of images only from messing-about.com. So, since the request from the server at 64.5.48.99 is NOT reporting itself as "messing-about.com" to the server at 216.180.243.210 (the wwwroot5.net server), the .htaccess directive is not allowing the images to be hotlinked. From the same server, if I use the messing-about.com URL, it allows the hot link because the URL is in the "allowed" list.

The Gallery software is fully transferred, but the configuration is wrong; the path to the image editing software that makes the thumbnails is wrong, so it only posts the larger pics for new uploads.

I'll fix all of this this weekend, and eliminate the old site. The traffic at the old server is down to 538 "hits" today, so most everyone has the name resolved to their nameservers.

I for one am more than just impressed. I am amazed that this type of change can be as smooth as it seems to me. I realize that from this end it should appear that way, and from your end it is anything but smooth.

But you are running a wonderful forum and from this persons point of view, you are to be commended.

I salute you and thank you for providing an excellent place for a very diverse group of people to get together and strike up new freindships and exchange views.

And here I thought this was going very badly ... :shock:

Thanks for the kind words. It was a bit messy, and if I ever have to do it again, I'll be prepared a bit better.

It was a good thing I built a boat ... the lessons of the "moaning chair" can be applied to other situations too.