Beach camping boats

John Burritt

The current issue of "Maine Boats &Harbors" (July, 2003, #75) magazine has an interesting article by Art Paine about using small sailboats, canoes and kayaks to explore the byways of the Maine coastline. His biggest omission was his failure to mention any of the B & B boats. Any of the Bay River Skiffs, Core Sounds, Princess Sharpies, and/or the Walkabout are better prepared for this type of sailing than those featured in the article, not to mention Graham's full line of canoes and kayaks. My bias is showing, but its too bad Graham's boats have such a tough time breaking into the Maine-origin magazines.

Not to be overlooked, Tom Lathrop's "Liz" is a superior power cruiser to the one in the article.

John,

I'd put my Core Sound 17 up against any other open sailboat for sailing-camping. I can't imagine any other boat it's size that is easier to launch and rig. Few boats can keep up with it, especially up wind, and, because of it's light weight, it's easy to handle when beached.

Then here's the Core Sound 20............