Poco Barta FROG

even-keeled

After a first time kayak adventure last year in a plastic sit-on kayak, I knew that I'd have to get to get my own but for less money and better performance. I also like to build things. Being an airplane mechanic that has worked with vintage planes, finding Kudzu Craft on the internet was all I needed to lock-in my decision. 

The laminated coaming and floorboards are still in-work but since it just came off the strongback, here are some quick FROG photos. Since I started, I scrapped my initial bow, Stern and fwd coaming support frame. Through the magic of CAD, a laser cutter and reading this internet forum, I was able to attempt recreating the grandeur of newer Kudzu cockpits while retaining the elegance of the original design. I do not recommend or condone altering the design though due to product liability, safety and respect for the designer (sorry). The stringers are wrc finished with spar varnish. The grey frames are saber-saw cut bb ply coated with polyurethane epoxy and the ply with the charred edges are the laser pieces finished with spar varnish. More and better photos to follow after the coaming is done. In Arizona, grass isn't plentiful in yards. 

Thanks for all the support this community and Kudzu has provided during this build.

IMG_20180409_180734.jpg

IMG_20180409_180820.jpg

IMG_20180409_180906.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After finally being able to sit in the cockpit, I'm amazed at how different my perception of fit during the build was versus my actual fit. I fit 36" inseam pants and size 14 shoes. While sitting at a point 4" forward to simulate the back band, my shins hit the masik during entry. My toes end up close enough to the next fwd frame that they nearly touch it. I didn't expect that I might need a feet first entry but I'm still satisfied with the results. What a sleek boat 

The pics: 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LMdUNPsagZUZWTNq1

I'm having trouble uploading pics to the forum today.