Firefly stringers

heneksja

So the manual says (revision 5.0) for the Firefly:

Gunwales are 1-1/2" x 5/8"

one set of chine stringers are 1" x 5/8"

the rest of the stringers are 5/8" x 5/8"

But the depth of the frame slots on the Firefly kits for the keel is more like 1".   Other stringers are more like 3/4" deep.  So should ignore what the manually says and make the keel stringers at 1" and the rest at 3/4"?   Is is generally true that stringers should be either flush or slightly proud of the frame pieces? 

I was a little confused when Jeff Horton answered a question about the Firefly in the "oversize notches" thread with a statement about the Short Shot.  Are the stringer dimensions all the same on both models?   I asked similar questions in that thread, but there was no response.   It is an old thread, so maybe no one looks at old threads.  

Thanks for the info.  Maybe the next edition of the manual would correct the numbers and give the info in more detail like this.   Really the only thing that is wrong in the manual, is it didn't say anything about the keel at all, so it implied to me that the keel must be 5/8" and be part of the "rest of".  But phrases like "set of" and "rest of" aren't much help when you are going to the lumber store.  It took us a while to realize that "one set of" meant a pair and we had to get the frames our to see how many "rest of" were.   Giving lengths would be even better.  

I did have a general question about the sizes, which prompted me to ask the question in the first place.   So are the stringers, chines and gunwales supposed to be just a little proud of the frames?  I gather it is better to be that way, than the other way around.  I guess that would be a wear point of the stringers were recessed on the frames and maybe look wrong too on the finished kayak.      We were already made  3/4" stringers and figured if they stuck out a bit, it wouldn't really matter.