cs17 trailer

Guest ricardo de oliveira

I'm customizing an used (wooden and very rugged) trailer I bought for my CS17. The previous boat in the trailer was shorter and lighter so I'll move the axle forward to get the necessary balance. Where should I relocate the axle? Right at the CS17 midpoint or a little aft? In the CS17 case the gravity center ( how do you call it in English?) and the midpoint location are the same?

Thanks,

Ricardo

PS: My son is born. Heaven is here and now.

The answer is not easy. But we cant tell you where to locate the axle. I would get the boat on the trailer with the axle where it is. Then measure the tongue weight. You should have about 10% of your total loaded trailer weight on the tongue. Say the boat weighs 400# and the trailer weighs 400#. 800# total weight so about 80# of tongue weight. More is fine as long as you have a jack for the trailer and your vehicle hand handle it. Less than 10% is dangerous. This is what causes swaying of the trailer.

You can use a bumper jack and block up with wood (getting the tires off the ground) at various points on the frame to see where the best axle center should be. Then use a bathroom scale and a wood post to measure the tongue weight at the height of your hitch.

Thanks, Joe. I'll find a way to weigh the trailer and the boat and proceed with the tongue calcs.

Gordy, at 80 inches, do you can lift and move your trailer/boat easily? How strong you are? :wink: I saw the pics but I can't remember: Is it a metal trailer, isn't?

Another way is to load the boat on the trailer. If the tongue doesnt lift up on its own...thats a good first indication. Then can you lift the tongue up without the boat gaining balance and start going backwards on its own? It should not.

Next is the question as to whether the trailer tongue is to heavy. Is it uncomfortable to hook up to your vehicle? If not its OK.

Last step. Drive test. Start out slow. Be sure you have lots of room and little or no traffic. Make some exagerated back and forth motions while driving. The going from one direction to the other is what starts trailer sway. If you cant MAKE the trailer sway...then the balance is good. If it tends to sway (first slow down!!!) then you need MORE trailer tongue weight. Start out slow and increase speed until you are going at highway speed. The trailer should not make the car sway.

Joe

My trailer is galvanized. The tongue is heavy. I used to have a swivel-wheel on the tongue, but now have one that also is a jack. I CAN lift the tongue to hook-up to the car, but just barely. Of course, I'm very strong....and handsome too.

Like Joe says, too light is worse than too heavy.

You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead. (Stan Laurel)

Ricardo, first, weigh the kid fore and aft. If his head seems heavy you're probably holding him wrong. Chances are the problem is with the rigging.

Ballast may appear unexpectedly. Remove the ballast immediately! This will improve the attitudes of both you and the child.

Occasionally the child will leak. Do not be alarmed. These leaks are normal and, for the most part, are self-sealing.

If you having any problems, just remember, we're always here to help.

You can lead a horse to drink, but you can't make him water.

Gordy,

you're not only strong and handsome. Thanks for sharing with us your knowledge.That's enlightenment.

Suggestion for a future thread: fishing and sailing at the same time: how to. 8)