Curlew coaming position

SteveH

So I've finally found time to get back onto this, I have cut the corrected frames and bracket and it's looking a lot better. I actually have 90% of the lashing done but my question is where does the coaming sit fore and aft? Do we make the inside aft edge of the bottom ring sit flush with the aft frame (5'4" I think?) Or do we bring it forward  an inch or so to clear the top stringer that sticks out a bit?

Not being a sea kayaker (yet) I presume you don't lean against the coaming with your back - it's just to fit the skirt right? If I know how it's used and it's function I can nut it out but just want to know so I can lash the top stingers (the centre aft and the 2 fwd that it rests on) in the right place.

Thanks

The lower ring should rest on top of, more or less centered on the front and rear frames, I don't remember the numbers. That is not critical but if the frames are located properly and plumb that is where is should fall.

As for the stringer I leave them sticking out long  and trim them after lashing. You need somewhere around an inch o stringer past the frame for the lashing.

Your right, you do not lean against the coaming. You need a backband to rest against or a backrest as part of the seat.  The boat is designed for the paddlers back to be 4" ahead of the frame to balance the boat properly.  In the real world I place mine much closer to the frame than 4".