Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Adios last won the day on April 6 2019

Adios had the most liked content!

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Not Telling
  • Location
    Mt Pleasant, SC

Recent Profile Visitors

2,596 profile views

Adios's Achievements


Contributor (5/14)

  • First Post
  • Collaborator
  • Conversation Starter
  • Week One Done
  • One Month Later

Recent Badges



  1. Thanks for the nice comments. I'm going to try to finish laminating the transom this weekend and then get on to the glassing. I send more photos as things progress.
  2. I was about to the point of ordering an Armstrong bracket. Graham was kind enough to send me plans for a built on bracket, adapted from the 256. This has delayed me by a couple of months but I think will be worth it. No corrosion, stronger and better looking, too. It required cutting out slots in the transom to extend the keel and stringers. These are now installed, the bracket is planked and I'm now laminating the outboard bracket.
  3. I'm working along, slow but steady. After foaming in all spaces between the side stringers, a second layer of foam, #6 divinycell, 1/8" was laminated to cover the side stringers and was flush with the intermediate sheer. 10 oz glass was next applied. I need to touch up a few areas and the fair the inside before installing the carlin stringers.
  4. test fit sheets of 2# closed cell foam unthickened epoxy more to come. Thanks John McFadden Mt Pleasant, SC
  5. The ply deck was painted on its undersurface with epoxy and glued to the stringers, foam and chine with thickened epoxy. It was fastened with raptor staples. If you haven't used them, they are fast and much cheaper than bronze screws. They are a little quirky, though. Bilge compartments painted and water tank installed. I wanted space in the transom for storage and a live well/fishbox so I modified the aft bulkhead that I had previously removed.
  6. My project inches along and for any of you who were following, my apology for the weak performance of keeping up this page. It is a hobby, after all! The floatation foam is in, I've installed the ply flooring and designed an aft bulkhead to allow installation of a live well/fishbox in the transom. Photos to follow. I installed four backing plates made of 2 layers of 1/2 inch ply plus 18oz glass in the footprint of what will be the T-top. Since there will be no way to access the under surface of the deck later, the T-top will be fastened with SS bolts/nuts embedded into these footings (see Gougeon Brothers, 5th ed. p 136) Deck is 9mm ply, will be covered with 18 oz glass, then teak.
  7. Very Nice! I will contact Graham re the plans. Definitely better looking and lower maintenance than an armstrong bracket Thanks again. John McFadden Charleston, SC
  8. Beautiful job! Congratulations, it looks professionally built in every way. i have a question for you. I am 3 years into building the same boat, Hull #13. I haven’t posted in a while but I am getting ready to order an Armstrong bracket. I am much mor e interested in building a bracket. I would like to avoid the aluminum corrosion issue and I can make a custom bracket blend into the hull lines better. Does Graham have plans for the bracket or did you design it yourself? thanks John McFadden Charleston SC
  9. Yes, that's a great idea! it's worth it's own thread and some photos. Wish I had known about it or researched it better before pouring foam. No going back now but i'm sure that there is adequate space for drainage and some standing bilge water under the foam.
  10. Hmmm. I never would of thought of that technique nor have i seen is described. Definitely sounds better than my method in regards to possible future rot issues. Next time... Thanks
  11. Next came the foaming part of the project. Graham had recommended not pouring foam but rather gluing blocks of foam in each compartment so as to allow for condensation and drainage through he limber holes. I made a compromise as shown. I cut sheets of 1" 2# foam and glued them (epoxy) so that there is a space below the foam for bilge drainage. The perimeter of the inset foam sheet was sealed with heavy duty duct tape to make a water tight seal so that liquid foam would not make it past the foam sheet when poured. 2# density foam was then poured and once set the tops cut off flush with stringers and bulkheads. I made a mock-up of this method first. The liquid foam adheres so tenaciously to the wood, sheet foam and duct tape that there is no worry about it coming apart. Next the ply flooring goes in.
  12. Like so. Framing went on top with clearance for the fuel lines to complete the installation
  13. Still chugging along. The transom issue is still unresolved but the plan is to move it aft with a centerline fishbox and access to the bilge. More on that later. Since my last post, the fuel tanks have been installed, conduits for fuel, water, electric and hydraulic lines installed and the bilge compartments foamed. The decking (ply + glass) is next with the final decking planned as teak. For the fuel tank installation, support frames were constructed as shown and neoprene rubber + 5200 used to prevent chafing. These tanks must expand so they cannot be "foamed in". Instead there are clamps which secure the tanks and 1" blocks of neoprene are installed around the edges of the tank to prevent any movement.
  14. Kennneee, Great project and really nice work! Congrats. cant wait to see the finished cabin layout.
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.