Kennneee Posted October 12, 2021 Report Share Posted October 12, 2021 My Outer Banks 26, Rosie is done. Her tender, a modified Spindrift 9 is also complete. A couple of months back my wife Luanne AKA Lula asked what my next project was going to be. For the first time in many years I didn’t have an answer. She suggested I build another boat! I believe she lives in fear of a Ken without a project. With 12 kayaks and surfskis hanging in my shed it is hard to justify building another one. Since a good bit of my boating life has been around sailboats the gears started turning. I had admired the Lawpwing 16 for a long time. We live most of the year on Salt Spring Island, British Columbia. I have a good shop and lots of tools. In the Winter months we try to go somewhere warm and that is usually San Diego. San Diego would be a great place for a sweet daysailer like a Lapwing. Hmmmm. I now have a plan and a project. In San Diego I have use of a double car garage and almost no tools. With the idea of having a project for the winter and going south I wasn’t sure if doing a build from scratch would be an exercise in frustration without my tools and machines. Long story short, Graham and Allen are putting a kit together for a Lapwing. Before building my Spindrift Rosebud, I had never built from a CNC cut package. After having that experience, I am sold on the concept. I have cut enough plywood in my life and don’t feel short changed when the CNC parts fit together so beautifully. I believe this will be the first Lapwing built with all of the strakes pre-cut. Having the kit will make building this winter possible without having a lot of my tools. Since it will probably take more time to build than I will have when in San Diego this winter, I hope to have the hull far enough along to be able to buy a trailer down there and haul it back to Salt Spring for the final touches. Since the kit will be shipped down south I decided to get going on some of the parts that I can build in BC with the luxury of a well equipped shop. I have been saving some spar grade Sitka Spruce for 25 years or so. When I dug the boards out in hopes that I could use them for this project I was disappointed to find that I had enough for only one of the two masts. I have a local source for Alaskan Yellow Cedar. I was tempted to make one mast out of the Spruce and the other out of AYC but I decided it would look tacky. I picked up enough boards last week to build 2 masts and started butchering them up to make the masts. So, AYC all the way. None of the AYC boards were long enough for the 18’+ and17’ masts so after milling them down to the rough dimensions for the birdsmouth staves I have been scarfing strakes together. Today I finished the glue ups and later in the week I plan to start cutting the birdsmouths and tapers. Any tips or ideas always welcome. Ken Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.