256 pilot house?

Farmboy

Ok I ended up seeing a handful of charter boats sloped forward, I think they are all locally built boats possibly Resmondo's. Still not a single boat under say....40' or so with forward sloping, seems like it would help with heat gain, glare and spray. Input please.

Dunno if this is even going to qualify as input, but on one episode of Deadliest Catch, Cap'n Sig explained that the forward sloping windows of his crab boat's wheel house are more likely to survive the force of water crashing down from a rogue wave.  

And now for an uneducated guess:  forward sloping windows are better in the famous rain of the NW. 

I like the question, though.

Bob

• Like 1

This has been an ongoing argument for many decades, with no conclusive results. Discussion for each and every suggested benefit can go both ways. Sig on Deadliest Catch is good fisherman, but not an engineer. Given the design of the Northwestern's ports and lights and the big eyebrow, I'd suggest the engineers that did that boat knew what it needed to endure and scaled them appropriately. They could face plumb or rake aft and still (likely) tolerate a beating.

• Like 1

I second what Paul said.  You can think of the overhanging windows as good for shedding a wave that's crashing down from above or you can think of windows that slope the other direction as good for shedding a wave that travels up the deck.

If I was worried about waves hitting my windows the first thing I'd do is make them small and thick (and the smallest windows for a given arc of visibility would be vertical).

One thing a regular (car style) slope will give that a reverse slope won't is a dashboard that will hold a chart, or extra room for chartplotter screens, etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...