New Castaway Build

Zibodo

Yes. this design has a space behind the cockpit designed to hold a standard milk crate. I didn't use a crate, but it is very handy to store a bag with clothes, lunch, etc. It's a pretty elegant design but you need to be well balanced when accessing the storage to avoid tipping.

Another thing I wanted to mention to warn others and maybe get some thoughts on. I used Jeff's 8 oz polyester fabric which has a very loose weave. After initially draping the cloth around the boat and pinning and clamping it, I set it upright on two saw horses I had sitting around the shop since they seemed to put it at the right height. After I had sewed the front and rear seams on the deck using the double cord method, I turned the boat over and discovered that where it had rested on the saw horses, the fabric was quite abraded and a little frayed-just from the sewing induced wiggling. I smoothed the weave as best I could and continued on my death march to painting and completion, but the abrasion still shows and I worry about fabric strength and tearing in those two areas. The boat did not leak at the abraded areas, but now I am very sensitive to abrasion particularly in untreated cloth. So my advice to others is to make sure you protect the cloth while sewing-either put a pad down on the horses, or tape along the keel stringer and possible the chine stringers.

As for my completed boat, I am in the process of putting on  a 1/2 in sq WRC strip all the way from the bow to the stern along the keel. I laminated the shapes for the bow and stern from 1/2 x1/8th strips. (The 1/8th dimension was probably a little thick for the curve at the stern, but after soaking in water overnight, I was able to make it work). Now I am looking for a way to bond a 1-1/2 strip of dacron along the chine stringer for additional protection. I know I could have used fabric adhesive if I had done this before painting, but its too late for the now. Does anyone have an Idea on what the best way to bond untreated dacron to Rustoleum painted dacron?

I will say that once painted, the material seems stable and more resistant to wear and abrasion, but I think for the use I intend which is high mountain lakes with rocky bottoms and lots of fallen trees and snags, some additional protections is warranted. Next time I might go for the heavier material.

This is why I don't really like that fabric and I think it is worth the extra to buy one of the others. I have considered dropping it but it is very popular and the goal of any business is to make money.  I doubt  you really did anything other than just mess up the weave. It is really easy to do with that loose weave.

As for my completed boat, I am in the process of putting on  a 1/2 in sq WRC strip all the way from the bow to the stern along the keel.

I think you may regret that.  I highly advice rub strips but not that big.  A 1/2" square the full length will act like a big rudder and really slow down the boats ability to turn. Most wear happens on the bow so you need a rub strip there, but keep it as thin as possible. Maybe use  #6 flat head screws and make it just thick enough to countersink the screw heads flush.

Bow takes the beating and I highly recommend rub strips on the bow down to the keel. The best stuff I have used is half oval bronze. I no longer stock it but it is what I use on my boats. It should never have to be replaced. Wood works OK but I find it doesn't last as long.

Try your local electrical fittings supplier for POLY CABLE FEEDER its 1/2" wide x 3/32" thick x 12ft long usually. Electricians use it for feeding cables along conduit when wiring dwellings. Stiff but flexible and makes an ideal keel rubbing strip fixed with small countersunk head S/S screws. I buy it from my local hardware $3.95 a length. Works for me, hope its of some help.

Sorry Jeff, Your right I can only find it on EBay USA from a reseller in Australia its listed as a YELLOW TONGUE WALL SNAKE  US$11.48 a length  free postage to Americas.  Seems to be an exclusive line to one of Australia's big hardware stores BUNNINGS, but they don't sell online. Regards.