Scarfing question

bagarre

I plan to start building stringers this weekend using HomeDepot Red Cedar  as I saw some pretty clear and straight boards there.

Is it easier to scarf the entire 1x6 and then rip the stringers or rip the stringers and scarf them separately?

It would seem that scarfing the whole board at once would save time.

Oh, yeah. If you're comfortable scarfing the whole board and ripping stringers, that would be less tedious, I think.

I have cheated on both my Kudzu's and ripped 2x material. A bunch of 5/8 x 1 1/2, which I then ripped down to 5/8 x whatever, or just left.

Kind of six of one, though, really.

Have fun!

At first I was thinking about running the scarf on the 6" side but, that would use 4 feet of the board. Not very practical.

Using a jack plane, I could scarf the 1" side (8 inches) but it might be more work to make it as precise as needed to be strong vs a quick pass thru the table saw for a stringer.

So, scarfing after the fact might be the easier way to ensure the joint is tight and strong.

Use whichever method you feel you can make the best joint with.

I been running hand tools for a loooong time, so I feel VERY comfortable with a slick, chisel, and plane. And hatchet me draw knife. And I can still sorta muster an adze. A little coopers adze, I mean, not the big daddy. ;)

Been about 20 years since I touched a table saw, though. I would be very, very nervous to use a tables saw for anything anymore.

I'm old, and scared. :)