CS 17 323 Launched

JPower210

I was able to get away for a bit today and make the 2nd attempt at a 1st sail.  It was blowing about 5-8-  I decided to try a ramp I have not tried before in Davis, NC-  appropriate as it put me sailing in Core Sound-  Couple of changes made to rigging, and most importantly, my beautiful, hand shaped "cones" on the end of the sprits are now "pegs" which fit into the clew loops fully and snugly.  I think I may remake the sprits over the winter to give myself just a bit more length-  I did find myself block to block on the snotter which was fine today, but if I wanted to flatten out the sail I would not have had any more travel to do it.

So-  my impressions are even better than before!  I hit 5.2 knots according to the phone GPS while reaching across to Core Banks-  sailed as far as I could before the centerboard started telling me it was getting a little shallow-  i actually held the board down, used the sail to pivot 180 degrees and reached back towards the mainland on a reciprocal course.  Did a little bit of close hauled stuff, and then a run directly back to the ramp.  Had a big sea turtle pop up to take a look at me as I was headed in.   The ramp channel has a 90 degree turn to get in, so I ran until the turn, then a little reaching, and then just let the sails go as I glided in under sail.

What a fantastic morning!  Too bad this pesky work thing gets in the way of doing this every day-

post-1220-0-17145100-1469039302_thumb.jpg

Ahhhh, so much fun. Too much, maybe, for us mortals. I spliced in a section to lengthen my sprits on Summer Breeze rather than making new ones.

Love those turkles! They used to come up around me where I anchored for the night in Lookout Bight. They apparently were feeding in the grasses on the bottom. No, not MY  my bottom---the "ocean floor" bottom. 

Sorry, was away from the board for a while.  Yes, I actually think both sprits could benefit from 3 more inches of length, but they were built to specs.  When sailing in lighter air, I have no problem pointing though.  I like Phil's suggestion of a keeper for the clam cleats. I will look into it when I get a chance.  Too busy sailing and not building at the moment.  We are having too much fun at the moment.  

• 5 weeks later...

I found 2 line keepers for the cam cleats that were in the box of hardware I picked up from Alan at the Wooden Boat Show last year.  I put one on the main halyard cleat, and one on the centerboard uphaul.  What a difference these things make.  I will be purchasing 4 more.  

I will be making longer sprits this month.  I am thinking 4" more on each will help.