Outer Banks 24 compared to Bluejacket 24

Kennneee

Hi All- I would love some input on the performance comparison between these two designs. I saw the drawing for the OB 24 first and it was love at first sight. The Bluejacket is also a lovely design and both designers seem to have done imprssive work! Plans are on the way for the OB but before I start cutting wood, some insights from those more knowledgable than me would be helpful. My background is sail and paddle and don't have much experience with power boats of this sort.

I will be using the boat in the PNW and British Columbia. I am sure either design will work well. The BJ seems to have a bit less deadrise and larger flat sections on the aft chine sections and a fuller bow. The photos of it under power show little bow lift and stern squating at all speeds. Since there are no OB24's completed to my knowledge, I can only guess how it will perform.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Life could be worse than having to choose between these 2 designs!

Ken

• 2 months later...

Go back to the basics- what do you plan to do on your boat, and with how many people, and in what kind of weather and seas.

Then pick the hull that gives you this performance. The designers will help you.

I favor finer entry and flatter stern sections, a boat that parts the chop and still has good fuel efficiency. That shape does not

have to sacrifice seaworthiness when done properly.

You'll not find a boat that does everything, so focus on your primary use.

And have fun thinking about it.

• Like 1

Hi Ken,

There are no OB24's finished to my knowledge. I was hoping for a theoretical comparison from those who know more about power boat design than I do. Since I posted this, I have started building an Outer Banks 26. Any thoughts on the two designs are still appreciated.

Thanks.

Ken

Conventional wisdom on boats is that you must either cut through the waves or go over them. 

To go through them you need a sharp, fine entry to knife through.  A flat stern keeps you on plane and gives you fuel efficiency.  The drawback to sharp entry and flat stern is she will want to bow steer or broach in a following sea. 

So the opposite approach is to go over them with less bow angle and more deadrise.  This allows you to mave along the tops of the waves without pounding but it sacrifices efficiency in the process requiring more hP and fuel burn.

In order to do a fair comparison, you need to establish the conditions you will be running in most and what speed and efficiency you wish to obtain.  Slow cruising the Inner passage is much different than running offshore 100mi. for tuna or halibut and back.  Both of these can be done in the PNW. 

I see both as fine designs but I would guess the OB has more deadrise at the transom and will take larger seas a bit better I suppose but it will also sacrifice a little interior space and efficiency, both areas for which the Bluejacket is optimized while being designed for somewhat more protected waters.

I looked long and hard at both of these designs as well.  I wanted a little more beam and interior space than the B&B but better offshore capability than what the Bluejacket was designed for.

Blueheron,

Thanks for the input. Since the original post I started building an Outer Banks 26. It is a new design that Graham is still working on to complete. I have enough to build the hull and should have the frames standing up very soon.

Ken

post-5613-0-57717600-1473994024_thumb.jpeg

post-5613-0-35109400-1473994041_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1