Ocracoke 256 #3

Guest Chris Beebe

Wow! What a thing of beauty. I used to show my crew the early progress shots of this build for instruction and inspiration. This build has exceeded our capabilities in so many areas that we can only look on in admiration. Hoping it brings you great satisfaction.

Thanks for the comments, I think you are being far too kind. We still have a long way to go I enjoy you built and I really like what you are doing with yours. I keep thinking what are the challenges you had to deal with where you are located you must think way ahead of the built to have what you need on hand to complete your project.

Thanks again

Thanks I am really happy with the way the boat has come out so far, the pictures don't do it justice. We started on the rigging and wiring I am really nervous drilling holes just don't want to screw something up. Hope to hang the engines next week also getting ready to start on the T-top and upholstery.

Todd you are going to have to make a deal with wife she might need more shoes or maybe something in gold, you can incorporate it on the total cost of the boat.

Will post some more pictures the beginning of next week.

Thanks again for the comments.

IMG_1804.JPG

IMG_1805.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The teak strips are 2" wide by 3/8 thick, we bought them already milled . As far as Iroko I don't have any experience with it, I know it is a substitute for teak and I know it is a little different to work with. Most builders use teak so I guess that is the tried and true material, I know it is about 50% cheaper but personally would stick with teak.

I am sure like anything else there are people that love it and have used it and some that don't. Do a web search and see what happens.

• 1 month later...

Just an update on the 256, we are just about done finishing up all the systems (wiring, plumbing, electronics & steering) the T-Top is 90% done and the upholstery is 50% done.

If things work out and don't have any issues we are planning on getting her wet the weekend of the 14th as long as everything goes well then we might try bringing her to the Messabout.

Have a great day.

The arrows point to an external spray rail that was glued onto the side of the hull to extend the chine flat. The reason is to knock down spray that can fly up around the hull especailly running into a choppy head-sea. Sometimes they are installed in the bow region only. some claim they also provide some "lift" to the bow when in same conditions although buoyancy is the larger factor there. I suspect they will work well to reduce spray. Other builders have put them on the Ocracoke 20. Graham designed his built in chine flat first on Marissa and now on all our power designs to make it easier for the home builder and to get a turned down chine without a spray rail. the other consideration is that the chine and hull should be glassed prior to addition of an eternal spray rail so that any damage to it does not let water get to the hull. lots of discussion. on this topic on hull truth just search spray rail. 

-Alan