Ocracoke 256 #3

Guest Chris Beebe

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

Have not seen anything from you lately and hoping that the hurricane did not put you out of action. I am building the 256 and are about to install the sheer clamp. Your postings have been a huge help. A close inspection of your photo shows that you have them overhanging at the aft end so that they can be cut to lay on the intermediate sheer - am I seeing this correctly? Also it appears you may have used thinner strips than the 1" square on the plans. Any tips from a pro would be gratefully received.

Regards John

Guest Chris Beebe

Hi John . Yes I over lap , make a line and cut it . It starts and ends at F5. I use half inch by one inch. Bend a lot easier. send me some pics,of your build  , have a good night.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the advice. May get around to posting pics if I work out how. The build is taking place in Vanuatu. A friend and I imported two kits via Australia and have started the actual build 11 days ago. As much pre prep as possible was done prior to the arrival of the kits. Stringers were sourced locally and the jig was ready and waiting. I have two local Ni Vanuatu guys helping me and we are doing full days - 5 days a week. Progress is quite rapid under the circumstances but it is challenging keeping the work up to the guys. Their enthusiasm is really high - based on a couple of things - firstly no local guy has ever been involved in such a project and secondly they really want to go fishing in it. We are in to day 11 and if the sheer plank goes in tomorrow we will be planking come Monday. Yours and Steve McCormicks build have been the only point of reference regarding time lines etc. Everybody asks when will it be finished and you would know the answer to that. Thanks again for the postings. Whenever I need to explain our next move I show the guys the photos you have posted and they get it. Worth way more than a thousand words - especially in another language.

Cheers John

There is an image tag in phone and tablet photos the forum software doesn't deal with well.

It seems the code on the image is newer than the forum software, but Frank has indicated (on a thread where I asked about sideways pictures) he will be implementing an update.

Until then, shoot all device photos is landscape to upload them here oriented properly.

Peace,

Robert