Action Tiger builds sailboat. With epoxy!

Action Tiger

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s a side/front and a rear view of the top. The hold down bolts and cleats are visible. The cleats will do double duty and hold the cloth cover when using the open slot configuration.

The mizzen mast step and cockpit are almost done, and when they are, I’ll drag her out in the open and step the masts.

This is getting real...

Peace,

Robert

CE89C1B0-ACFB-40F7-ACD0-CFD7B5CF5556.jpeg

D89C791F-FDA6-471E-9C74-7E40BE295641.jpeg

The sticks are well on their way, Don. The flappy cloth things, though... :)

Actually, we were discussing yesterday that we need to roll the boat out of the garop and step the masts pretty soon, to check it all out and take some final measurements to determine where things will go, like the control lines.

Exciting stuff!

Peace,

Robert 

P.S. just so you don’t all think I just nap all day, here’s a few shots of the pedal car I’m building, too. :)

69B2A583-F12E-473C-9AC6-9BF26042C660.jpeg

96B95460-FF17-49F1-AED3-AAEAE34A87E0.jpeg

I am still thinking about your hatch cover, particularly stepping and unstepping the mast with the cover closed. I feel that this could only be done with the boat on the trailer- the stability afloat with someone on deck holding the mast vertical would guarantee a swim, methinks. The other problem with stepping the mast thru the hole in the hatch is how to find the mast step with the foot of the mast while working blind from on deck.

Hope I'm not bothering you, because I really like your hatch cover, but with the slot open she has the safest & easiest mast raising/lowering system imaginable, and I think it's a real pity to lose that with the hatch. Can't wait to see her afloat!

Alex,

No bother at all, especially as you are 100% correct. :) 

The hatch for the slot top is only for expedition type sailing, like when I expect to encounter conditions that will capsize the boat, and/or when expecting rain, and for when I want to leave the boat, and keep my stuff “secure”.

Most of the time, we’ll use the boat without the cover, or with a cloth top. Which is why I wanted to make it easy to attach firmly, but also as unobtrusively as possible. The cleats I ended up using will do double duty by securing the cloth top when we use that. And they make wonderful hand holds...

The stepping and unstepping of the mast will be made more difficult, as will rigging it, but those are both tiny prices to pay, because the difficulty only increases minutely.

The mast hole I made has tapered inner edges, which lead into the partners, which are slanted at the right angle for the mast. Standing in the main hatch, I can set the heel of the mast on the edge of the ring, and stand the mast up. The mast really isn’t that heavy, which surprised me. I can, for example, lift it from the skinny end...

Once it’s in the mast hole/partner slot, it can’t really go anywhere else but into the step, but even small corrections should be easy to make.

As to the stability, despite the five panel hull and relatively narrow bottom, I’ve been assured these are fairly stable boats, and I don’t think stepping the mast should be a problem.

But, if my weight and that of this mast combined will heel this boat dangerously at rest, there is no way I’ll sail it anywhere. I already dislike monohulls with their wasteful heeling, but if this turns out to be THAT tiddly of a boat, she’s gone.

Peace,

Robert 

Robert,

I just re-read your reply to my query about stepping the mast thru the hole on the hatch. I didn't realize it was possible to do standing on the bottom in the aft hatch. My wise-ass comment about swimming was about standing on the housetop/hatch holding the mast vertical to stab it into the hole, when the stability might be questionable. I was thinking of Michalak's comment about OliveOil " but I should warn you that, with AF3 at least, standing on the cabin top is an invitation for capsize. After all, these are not large boats"

Alex

Alex,

No worries, at all. I assure you, nobody expecting to stay aboard will ever attempt to walk on the cabin top of this boat! :)

I was also cognizant of the fact the a lot cover couldn’t interfere with the utility of the slot, which is an integral feature of the boat.

I have been picking away. I finally made a halyard sheave I can live with, and installed it with a bushing and bolt. I also made a mainsail boom outhaul sheave I can live with, and I’ll install it later today. That will be the end of the soar work until I get a sail and get it all set up. Then I can determine the best leads for all the lines. Where to put the topping lift blocks for best effect, for example.

The mizzen mast and step/partner are done, and the spars are being glued up.

The rest of the boat waits for a clean weather window. I need to glass a few more bits, glue on a few more bits forever, and finish up the painting. 

Aside from the last few gluings and the paint, she’s done, aside from rigging.

I hope to have her wet, soon, and I will certainly throw down a few cruises this summer and fall.

I’ll get some detail pics later, and an overall pretty soon. I’m going to roll her out and step the spars, soon. :)

Peace,

Robert

P.S.  And I’m chipping away at this...

9B05BD30-2843-4FF5-A4A0-DAE27CD0FC3F.jpeg

Great cheesy slinky, I got glass on the board, finally! Hahaha. One side got a layer of glass on the blade, two up near the pivot area, and about 1,749 layers around the “knob” that the lanyard pulls on. I cut about 398 little triangles out of cloth and stuck them on willy-nilly around the corners.

I’ll do the other side this evening, and the rudder blade, too. The leading edges of both foils will get some extra layers of glass, for the depth sounder function.

I spent about 17 minutes total yesterday spinning the sheave in the masthead. It spins so freely and nicely now, every time I walk by, I go “bzzzz”, “bzzzz”. Haha.

Chick, I already started in on the next thing. There are actually a couple boat projects in the works, but I’m not going to post about them. One is very experimental, and the other is very ugly and dumb. And experimental.

Like everything I do, they’ll be cheap and goofy. I just don’t see the need to post more cheap and goofy crap on the web. There’s plenty out there. And, I certainly don’t want to defend my cheap and goofy boats anymore, nor my build techniques or choices. I’m dumb, and I guess a lot. :)

Actually, the whole running my mouth of on the internet opining and posting about matters has really begun to drag on me. I sometimes wish I could delete the whole shebang from the web, go back in time and never even get on.

It was a Kudzu kayak that turned me into a forum poster. The feeling of being an idiotic blabbermouth has never left. I just hate it. Some may have noticed my decline in posting. It started when my boat was called crap, and has snowballed since. 

I DO still got old #55 on the back burner, though. Dang, I might can have a proper thread in BandB...

Anyway. I hope to have some photos of this stupid thing with stepped masts soon.

Peace,

Almost Done!

89946DC5-9D73-4ADB-A120-586214FCF776.jpeg

P.S. The dark line near the lower aft edge is filler. I dig out some iffy wood, and replaced it with filler.