Action Tiger builds sailboat. With epoxy!

Action Tiger

I've never been much of a fan of the box boat designs, he seemed to perpetuate. I understand the concepts, but have difficulty building ugly stuff, regardless of valid hydrodynamics. If the windscreen was raked aft a bit, the look would improve dramatically IMO, not to mention aerodynamics too. They do run flat, but they also pound in a chop, in spite of his suggesting it'll bridge most wave trains. Other designs like this of his, received upgrades for a box keel sort of protrusion, to address this problem. If speeds are kept modest, she'll slip along fine.

Well. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. :)

I think my little sharpie canoe is pretty. I just applied the sharpie chine treatment to a plumb sided little canoe. It actually works.

The Sneakeasy will be used on the quiet backwaters of the Delta and a few alpine lakes near us. She should make a fine little launch to putter along and watch nesting eagles from...

Peace,

Robert

There's still that Core Sound over there I dumbed into.

And this. Also dumbed into.Know anything about refurbishing old boats? :)

Old?!?  Belafonte was built in like 1984! She's a new boat! She's only...  Oh.  Now I feel old.

Every time you mention your Core Sound, the song starts playing in my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv-fjv1bbXI

• Like 1

In case you all don't know this...

I LOVE THIS PLACE!

My kids were decorating the house for festivus, and found a decoration from 1986. They were amazed at the vintage of it. 1986 is, like, 30 YEARS AGO!

Yes. I suppose the 80s really WERE a long time ago. :)

The new (ha) boat in my drive is to be called Slim Jim, which was the nickname the marina guys gave the boat. I think mine is only twenty or so years old. ;)

Peace,

Robert

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There's always room for yellow!  (Sorry, it just came to me.)  You take the west coast allocation for yellow boats, and I'll take the east coast.  Be forewarned-- yellow paint is notorious for poor hiding power.  You may need an extra coat, to get the look you're after.  Just keep it in mind, when ordering paint.  Balanced lug rig?

Man,

I can't wait for the weather to change, because it is prime time! Whee!

Nothing left to do in the boat that doesn't need a rise in temp, so she sits.

The mainsail is a balanced lug, yes, and I'm adding a tiny leg of mutton mizzen.

Oh, and I can't wait to paint it. All that yellow!

Peace,

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Terrible news. My wife found this viscous orange color. I have to admit, I like it very much.

No more yellow boat. :(

But, the priming is almost done. I think one more round of prime and sand and fill and sand and prime and sand and fill and prime, and then I can paint.

Foils are getting final foil before glassing, and the spars are being addressed, sortof. Oars, too. Mostly.

The loose ends are flying together!

Peace,

Robert

Yeah. Orange. I was bummed, at first, because I was set on yellow, but when, ahem, we, saw the orange...

Ah, well. It's gonna look crazy. That's all that matters. 

I made my mizzen partner/step today. I need to glue it up and glue on my skeg. Those and the leeboard mount are the only bits left to glue to the outside.

The hull is undergoing ONE more round of fairing, because. Well, why not? It's never gonna be perfect, but there are a few large, flat surfaces here. :)

I think I may mess around and finish this thing one day. Maybe. 

Peace,

Robert

• Like 1

@Action Tiger-- that's one on the disadvantages of using that type of plywood.  The surface is so darned uneven!  I'm curious to try marine grade baltic birch.  There's also a new brand of underlayment in my Lowes that is tempting.  Both have a silky smooth finish.  What would it hurt, for a boat that spends 95% of its life tarped and on a trailer?  It would cut down on all that fairing work.

3 hours ago, Thrillsbe said:

A Sneakeasy attended Graham's messabout last fall.  It was a nice running boat I was impressed with how smoothly she went on plane.

IMG_7549.JPG

Oh, yes. My wife is so excited for me to finish this stupid boat, so,I,can fix the Sneakeasy.

Me, too. 

There is a fair amount of work when I look at it, but 90% cosmetic.

Whee!

Peace,

Robert