Action Tiger builds sailboat. With epoxy!

Action Tiger

Iz IS great. I've often watched and heard him on U-tube. I wasn't familiar with James Hill.

I admire you guys that play any instrument. I used to sing in the church quire Miss Debbie directed when I first married her. I sung tenor 11 times. I even sang solo---solo that no one could here. Actually I was a baritone. I'd bari the tone so it would never be heard again.

When I was in school, Id whistle as I walked between classes. The other kids would make fun of me. Called me "pucker lips". Now my lips have about disappeared, and I can't whistle anymore.

But, I can listen to others. I especially love big band and doo-wop, including earlyrock. 50s and early 60s. Also vocalists like Babsy-boo (Barbra Striesand), and new ones like Josh Groban and Jackie Evancho. Many more, but you get the idea. Gosh, wonder what we're gonna talk about next? Boats? ....nawww....

I dunno how the below got on here again. How do I delete them????

• 2 weeks later...

The steering “wheel” for the car, Chick. Well, the plan, and test pieces...

The sailboat is getting stuff glassed and faired. It looks the same everyday. Grrrrrrr! Hahahahaha. :)

The sailboat is also getting little things like blocks and chocks made. The bow anchor rode chocks will be this extra dense fir I got hold of. Same wood is being used for the various block bodies I’m making. The whole boat will have spectra stropped, wood blocked sheaves. Why not? There are, like 6 blocks. Hahaha.

Oh, the sheaves are nylon, and I cut them with a hole saw then turn them on a converted drill press turned mini lathe. I use a 1/8” chisel, a rat tail file, and a chainsaw file to make the sheaves.

Then I drill them out for a press fit oilite bushing.

Strops are spliced into a grommet, then seized in place with whipping twine, or stretched into place, depending. You know, that old saw...

Peace,

Block Head

9B71784E-BDE3-457B-AE34-8BACE530632B.jpeg

If you are a ham-handed, amateur fool, playing at building boats, this is how you make the mizzen sheet block which will reside at the end of the boomkin.

Yes, the unpainted portions will be touched up, after I’m sure all the potential chafing bits on all the potential leads are filed away...

The paint is for uv protection, and because I ain’t fancy one bit.

Peace,

Robert

8AD941F3-86D4-4F31-ABD8-F2C7527D6016.jpeg

Well, this schtick don’t fly everywheres. :) Thanks.

One day I’ll get this boat done. Meanwhile, the pedal car, duck punt, and rowing skiffs are wasting all my time.

Man, I built some oars based on curragh oars, and they sure do work fine.

And, so far, rowing ain’t kill my back like paddling. It’s weird though, gauging where you going based on where you been. Wait. What? Hahaha.

Anyway, I’m back to glassing the last few bits and edges (which means RE-glassing over areas I needed to remove, and also, a bit, wrapping the last little corners and edges) and painting. And sanding. And splicing. Dang, I love making grommets in single braid. :)

Peace,

Robert

Aaak!  For a second that looked like the beginning of a Viking funeral.  I was glad when I figured out it was just a nap.

So the real reason the boat ain't done yet is that you're so exhausted from working on all those other things that you fall asleep when you try to take a day off to sail? ;)  I bet you still got more done that day than I did.

Worse, Ken. That’s a picture of me actually WORKING! :)

Seriously, that day was my oldest son’s girlfriend’s birthday, so we took her to the lake, for the second time in her life, and later I took all the bigs to a rock and roll show.

I was the older guy with the earplugs...

Peace,

Robert

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, alexscott said:

Tiger,

Do you have a link for instructions for making grommets in single braid ?

How is the build coming? Pictures please

Best regards

Alex

Alex, 

I used these directions. I didn’t stitch around, as the grommet is in tension constantly, but on strops I do sew around.

Peace,

Robert

Pictures?

Been doing detail crap stuff. Ugh. Attached upper leeboard guard/brace and filleted it. It’s getting a layer of glass just to give a solid, check free paint surface. And Tom protect the end grain, a bit.

The rudder blade is basically done, save the fill/fair/file. The file is for the after edge, to get it crisp!

Same same with leeboard. The little ear that the pulldown lanyard tugs On is jo8ned to the board by a joint, glue, two long stainless screws, and about 15 layers of 4 Oz glass each side and in the crotch of the bend. The rest of the board was covered, and the leading edge given a few extra layers for good measure. She’s about tomthe fill/fair/file phase, too.

And, I needed a cleat for the green skiff, so I made this. Still needs the fluke/fairleads attached. Hehe.

Also, another small, goofy boat is coming together. Yes, this thing keeps getting delayed, but I also keep running out of money. Stupid work. 

Hehe.

Did I mention my daughter hit a three run homer on father’s day? Or, that I’m the speed and conditioning coach for a softball team, somehow?

Or that I unloaded a boat to a cat with a private pond we can fish? Youngest Son caught a big bass out of there. California big, but nonetheless and honest 5-6 pounds. My fist fit into its mouth easily! Odd fish.

Anyway. 

Oh! I also got some hand me down sailcloth from my sailmaker buddy to make the  mizzen from. Free is my favorite color...

Baby stepping.

Peace,

Robert

Oh. It’s also summer, which cuts an honest 4-6 hours out of each day. 105 is not time to be glassing. Nor grinding... Haha.

808E0CCE-0ACD-4C02-8355-C7616BFC9889.jpeg

8F74FDE5-4FA0-4991-997B-8BD0C23D2130.jpeg

236F6833-ED03-4A1E-973D-D6E51ED42005.jpeg

9F088BA7-8480-4FEA-8466-DF08C64AFC03.jpeg

0458C3C4-B93B-41D6-A2B2-534A2E679176.jpeg

Stupid Moby Dick. I don’t know why I keep reading it. I know what happens...

And, yes, that is meant to be Ahab lashed to the flank. Oops. Spoiler alert!

I don’t generally sport fish, but I do fish for food, and when I do I’m generally sporting about it.

When in Rome, though, eh?

Anyway.

Peace,

Robert

I love sea stories. My favorite are the Richard Bolitho series, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bolitho_novels

I did wade through Moby Dick a year or so ago. I enjoyed it once I got through the "introductory" part of the book with all the discussion on whether a whale is a mammal or a fish. That was most of the book, actually. I also just read---and skimmed---20,0000 Leagues Under the Sea. I found it pretty tedious, too. Oh well, when I was a kid I read this stuff and enjoyed it all. I guess tv and movies like Star Wars, Star Trek, and others have spoiled the old style of writing for me. Dang!!!!

Maybe I'll mount a turtle on the fore deck of Lost Cove. By-the-way, I'm still not totally happy with that name for the new boat.

Well, back to sanding the stoopid boat. Did I mention how much I LOVE :wacko:sanding?