Action Tiger builds sailboat. With epoxy!

Action Tiger

Well, Katey bar the door, I figured it out! :) 

It turns out, it was something Frank did, not me. Whew! I’m still a genius, y’all. Hahahahahaha.

Anyway. Here’s the spot where the boomkin will go.

Thanks Frank, for making this cool place. Really. Many thanks.

Peace,

Once Again Computering (with a phone...)

FC15071C-4979-4519-8CD3-7A6B40B9563E.jpeg

Not bumpkin. You can ride up front, with us. ?

Man, oh, Man, but I’m excited, y’all. Seriously. The rudder and leeboard are glassed both sides, needing only the leading edges wrapped and trailing edges faired. 

I’ll take pictures, now. :)

A couple side projects have cropped up, but are no big deal. I’m deep in the wait for epoxy to cure so I can sand it phase, again, anyway...

Peace,

Robert

• Like 1

It will be an honor to ride with you and Katey. Ya gotta come pick me up though. (Katey. The one that barred the door. Is she the same as the one that "did". You know, Katey-did.) Sorry, got bitten by another kind of a bug last night. A silly-bug.

Hey, that scratch-awl looks just like mine!

Oh well, you can have your post back now.

Oh, my, Chick. We really are related, somehow. Katey Bar the Door, and Katey-Did were the refrains we tortured a poor sweet Katey we knew at summer camp with. She was a sweet natured as good looking, so endured our teasing with the grace only a young woman can possess.

Dang. Nostalgia is a powerful drug, eh?

And, as to the thread? Holy smokes, Son, I believe we done covered every topic known to man on this one, here. Please, somebody bring up fiddles so we can be quit of it. And, no, I don’t mean nautical lips to prevent spillage, I mean the squee-squaw bow box what always gets all the credit in bluegrass and country.

Hehe.

While the gloop cures, I plan to work on the car a bit and some other boat project. I’m making tiny blocks. :)

I’ll put up a few more pictures later, now that I can again. I’ll get some boat pics, even. Haha.

And, seriously, Frank, thank you. This is the simplest to use, most pleasant to visit and participate in forum on the web. Really. I’ve quit visiting a few forums because they were tough to use and full of butt-hats.

Peace,

Robert

P.S. My other boat project right now is a collaboration between the kids and I. I do believe it is the stupidest and most brilliant thing ever. The best part about the kids, and working/making things with them, is their open eyes. If we can get our minds and eyes to think and see like them, the world becomes a new thing.

Say! Didn’t some guy named Joshua say somesuch about being childlike? :)

That Joshua guy musta been joshin' you-a.

Speaking of "... Nostalgia is a powerful drug ...", I've been doing a lot of that lately. Actually been writing another of my little stories. Not actually about boat stuff, but a bit of boating is in it. Maybe my reader won't mind if I post it in the boating stories section....

Fiddles?  Well if we're gonna go off-topic we might as well go shopping!  There's a chain of stores called Aldi that opened up not too long ago in Perth (they've probably been in Germany forever but they're new in Perth).  Aldi sells groceries, but not all the groceries you really need.  The big draw to an Aldi store is the random extraneous merchandise that shares the aisles with the lettuce and pork chops - The selection changes weekly.  You really never know what's going to be there when you go so people say things like "I went to Aldi to get some canned pears and I came home with a cordless drill."

Well, a few months ago I went to Aldi to get some Buttermilk so I could make some nice fried chicken or okra or, no, I think it was cole slaw actually because I was cooking some pig to go with it, and I came home with a fiddle.  Not a joke.  Stop laughing! It's a real fiddle.  It's not a good one but it's shaped like a good one.  I don't know how to play it yet, I'm sticking with the banjo for now.  I'll get to it eventually.

Paul, you're right - GDAE.  Drop by for a jam any time.  I'll be the bad banjo player and you can be the bad fiddle player.  My neighbors will just have to deal with it.  The family to our left will understand and the family to the right don't matter (see my signature...)

Banjo? Banjo? I only play Portuguese derived high top string instruments. :) However, I do play my uke clawhammer and banjo style, three finger picking. Rolls on a uke sound awesome.

The uke has wrecked both my guitar and banjo playing, though...

There are rumors I may acquire some VERY old, VERY dense redwood chunks with which to make a top and back for a new uke.

Coincidentally, I am in the middle of a banjo build. It will be octagonal, and all wood, in the style of old Appalachian type clawhammer banjos. Ash neck and body with a cedar top.

Oh. Oldest son plays bass.

We are set! :)

Peace,

I Play A Concert Size Uke, So It’s Not THAT Goofy Looking To Watch.

Ha!  Mine's a home-built, too.  Who have thunk there'd be so many banjo builders building boats... Err, boat builders building banjos?  Mine is a little more modern.  It's got some store-bought parts but I did the wood parts myself.  The neck and the rim are both maple.  I cheated and bought a rosewood (or is it ebony?) fingerboard that had pre-cut slots for the frets.  I did penance for my lapse, though, by doing some inlay on the peg head.  It's an open-back but I'll have to make, borrow or steal a resonator sooner or later because I'm playing bluegrass now and if there's any other banjos in the room I can't hear myself (course that's usually a good thing).

Are you going to go full-on Appalachian with a frailing scoop, cat skin head  and no frets, or will you build a hybrid monstrosity like mine?  I'm all for a synthetic head on an otherwise traditional banjo but the humidity in your neck of the woods is pretty stable (IIRC).  Whatever you do I know it's going to sound good and make people happy.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:32 AM, Ken_Potts said:

Fiddles?  Well if we're gonna go off-topic we might as well go shopping!  There's a chain of stores called Aldi that opened up not too long ago in Perth (they've probably been in Germany forever but they're new in Perth).  Aldi sells groceries, but not all the groceries you really need.  The big draw to an Aldi store is the random extraneous merchandise that shares the aisles with the lettuce and pork chops - The selection changes weekly.  You really never know what's going to be there when you go so people say things like "I went to Aldi to get some canned pears and I came home with a cordless drill."

Well, a few months ago I went to Aldi to get some Buttermilk so I could make some nice fried chicken or okra or, no, I think it was cole slaw actually because I was cooking some pig to go with it, and I came home with a fiddle.  Not a joke.  Stop laughing! It's a real fiddle.  It's not a good one but it's shaped like a good one.  I don't know how to play it yet, I'm sticking with the banjo for now.  I'll get to it eventually.

Aldi, just got one locally,, But lets talk about this for a minute. a fiddle? Now you are cursing like a redneck.:P Of course up where you used to reside there is a more refined name for a similar instrument, violin. But in all honesty there is a difference in the two you know, even for the ones being sold at Aldi.  It all has to do with the outfit you are wearing when playing the two similar instruments, either a pair of bib overalls or tuxs.:D Now you know the rest of the story............

Okay, Aldi(s) fiddling around is my kind of tune.

However cool a uke paddle would be, I just couldn’t play such a thing. First, all my paddles (and oars) have long, thin blades. Almost stick-like. Hehe. Not much room for resonating.

Second, I am pretty spoiled by the uke I have now, and any other instrument I own must exceed the capabilities of it. I don’t see a paddle sounding better. And I surely don’t see any uke I make sounding better. :)

Still. I like that some people make weird stuff with their time. There’s lots of folks what don’t do much with their time but criticize others on the web.

Peace,

Tiny Bubbles (Not Tim. I Wish I Could Sing That Well...)

Ha! I have been to Don Ho Street. Paid my homage.

Here is my real hero, though. The incomparable Iz.

https://youtu.be/V1bFr2SWP1I

Warning: this video contains scenes of the most beautiful funeral ever. I simply cannot get through the video without welling up.

But, the coolest uke player I’ve ever heard is this guy: https://youtu.be/wVxaXODmA9Q

Peace,

Robert