Action Tiger builds sailboat. With epoxy!

Action Tiger

There are other website options for sharing your build that feature a wider variety of watercraft.  This being one of them: http://forum.woodenboat.com/forumdisplay.php?1-Building-Repair

By no means am I trying to get rid of you here. Quite the contrary. I am a member of and enjoy following threads on more than one website due to the wealth of information available.

Ditto the above comments Robert and I know you elsewhere too and your value, even if you don't realize it is quite high. I do seek information on the interwebs, though more often that not, am sharing my ideas, observations and experience. I'm in an area where we have lots of wooden and other hull material boats, many brought down by "snow birds" (what we call the vacationing yankees that come down in the winter), many leave their boats to the warm waters all year or to guys like me that'll keep an eye on them.

I for one would miss your wisdom, gentleness, thriftiness and warm regards that you always seem to spread to the other members, most of which don't have your experence and expertise, even if you still don't like epoxy . . . hang around, you'll be sorely missed otherwise.

HEY TIGER---Don't you DARE go away!!! I LOVE reading about what you are doing! And your humor while you're doing it. I've built my share of "quick and dirty" type boats, too, that the experts liked to correct me on. We don't all have the financial means , or in my case, patience, to always use the best materials, or the best methods. Or we have "our own way of doing it". What's wrong with that??? We do these things for our own enjoyment, don't we? (Give me patience, Lord, and give it to me NOW!)

I've been known to have a case of "foot in mouth disease" when seeing something that others do, and offer my suggestions. Sometimes I'm just showing off with my "vastly superior knowledge". (Now THAT"S a joke!) But mostly I'm just wanting to share my suggestions about what I think is a better way of doing something because I'm interested and want to help. I think that others are only doing the same. But, some times we may come across as "arrogant ________s" without meaning to.

I have a project I think I want to work on this year, on a small budget, when the Breeze finds a new home. It's a minimal power cruiser to camp on all of the little , remote mountain lakes. Just big enough to lie down in under shelter. Built from cheap stuff, looks kinda like a box, using materials from and painted with BBSS (Big Box Store Stuff). Lots of folks are gonna turn their noses up, look away in shame, tell me a better way, etc. WHO CARES! Let's just have FUN with what we do. All we gotta do is to please OUR SELVES.

So you keep on doing whatcha do, and posting it on here for all of us that love you! By-the-way, Summer Breeze says "Hi!" and is looking forward to meeting you in person.

Friends, Romans, Countrymen,

This is one reason I stay away from people, and don’t socialize. I am terrible at people.

I don’t get them, and they don’t get me. :)

I ain’t mad, and I ain’t leaving. This project has simply been on the defensive since Jump Street, though, and I’m tired of defending or explaining my every choice.

The real facts are these. Several years ago I severely injured my spine. Broken bones; ruptured discs; trapped, pinched, and severed nerves. I spent more than a year bedridden, unable to move one leg, and only partially able to move the other.

It took me more than two years of agonizing work to be able to walk again.

The episode cost me my home and my life savings.

So, now, I’m broken, and broke. I can’t paddle my beloved kayaks nor canoes anymore, so I decided to try sailboats. I am an inveterate builder, so the building isn’t a question.

I will finish this boat, soon I hope, post a few pictures of the completed boat, then move along.

For the next one, I’m thinking another lapstrake canoe, but a sailing version this time. Or maybe a nice rowboat?

Peace,

Robert

• Like 1

Keep the thread going Action Tiger; I enjoy reading it even though I don't comment much.  I like the technical discussions and your sense of humor.  Don't take any technical comments personally; I can understand how they might be annoying but they are helpful to beginners like me.

Robert,

Thank you for prompting me to re-cherish my health. Knock on wood that I haven't had such a debilitating accident in my life.

I can relate to the broke part, though. In my case, it was the 2008 recession and the banksters got my home and life savings. I also tend to say they cost me my wife because I believe the stress of losing everything contributed to the cancer that took her.

Far from those memories, I have since taken up residence in Thailand and have been accumulating tools and materials to build a new home and boat. Also trying to pay a little more attention to the food and drink I put in my body now that retirement age seemingly arrived out of nowhere.

And pardon me for not recognizing you for the prolific woodenboat poster and builder that you are.

Rex

Rex,

Dang, Brother. That is a row to hoe! I admire your strength. I’m not sure how I’d handle your set of variables. Probably not well. I wish you continued peace on your journey. Strength and love to you.

The last line is hilarious. Prolific poster and builder. Hehe. I got re-introduced to forum life by the Kudzu page, then I branched to the main forum. I quit the internet for years, see, but I got this smart phone...

Besides here, there are two other forums I participate in, and one ain’t about boats. 

I suppose a primary driver in my attitude is that I feel like a blow hard know-it-all spouting off like I know what’s what when I say stuff. I am always reticent to share my plans, ideas, and methods because I feel patently I qualified to tell anyone anything.

Add to that my general distaste of the Internet and the decorum to be found there, (generally, not here) and I really don’t feel like participating all that much. I do, because I like to share, but I don’t, because I’m reticent to share. Ahem.

Perhaps the most revealing aspect of this all to me is the fact I really don’t understand how to function around people. :)

Anyway. I truly appreciate the mad, mad love to be found here, and I apologize, to everyone. I make no bones about the fact I am not a “normal” person, and I don’t get along well with people, because I don’t “get” society and the rules. I like to tell people I’m broken, but in a good way, like Forrest Gump. Hehe.

Peace,

Robert 

On 1/8/2018 at 1:14 PM, AmosSwogger said:

Keep the thread going Action Tiger; I enjoy reading it even though I don't comment much.  I like the technical discussions and your sense of humor.  Don't take any technical comments personally; I can understand how they might be annoying but they are helpful to beginners like me.

You’re a nice man. I thank you for the kind words.

I generally don’t feel my posts are all that useful, and especially in this context. In reality, I AM doing everything wrong.

I am spending way too much time on a crummy boat.

This is a goofy boat that won’t appeal to many people, either. It looks weird, has unusual features, etc. I knew that going in, but I still got got. 

It seems a habit for me to choose the usual then be affronted when it is pointed out to me. Hmmm... ;)

I also don’t feel anything I am doing or discussing can come close to what some of the pro guys put up and contribute. I don’t have nearly the (boat)building experience many here do, and I should NOT b dispensing advice.

I really should just learn how to take advice. However, I am obviously a petulant man child. :)

I will contribute more stuff to the forum, to be sure. 

And i I will continue to pore over the posts of everyone else. I enjoy seeing progress, even I I don’t always comment.

Peace,

Robert

P.S. I never really got over my gun shyness from the incident with that one guy. I nearly left the forum then, and feel mayhaps I should have. Anyway, it obviously affected my posting, and still does. Sigh...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Action Tiger said:

You’re a nice man. I thank you for the kind words.

I generally don’t feel my posts are all that useful, and especially in this context. In reality, I AM doing everything wrong.

I am spending way too much time on a crummy boat.

This is a goofy boat that won’t appeal to many people, either. It looks weird, has unusual features, etc. I knew that going in, but I still got got. 

It seems a habit for me to choose the usual then be affronted when it is pointed out to me. Hmmm... ;)

I also don’t feel anything I am doing or discussing can come close to what some of the pro guys put up and contribute. I don’t have nearly the (boat)building experience many here do, and I should NOT b dispensing advice.

I really should just learn how to take advice. However, I am obviously a petulant man child. :)

I will contribute more stuff to the forum, to be sure. 

And i I will continue to pore over the posts of everyone else. I enjoy seeing progress, even I I don’t always comment.

Peace,

Robert

P.S. I never really got over my gun shyness from the incident with that one guy. I nearly left the forum then, and feel mayhaps I should have. Anyway, it obviously affected my posting, and still does. Sigh...

Heck I got you beat when it comes to goofy boats. I used to pick up dumpster scraps from a local lumberyard and glue the scraps together, slop some stain sealer on them and go to the water.  I thought I was in high cotton. I guess ignunt is bliss, or so they say.

Robert,

You come across as perfectly normal to me. And you certainly are not completely anti-social as evidenced by your chattiness. That is, unless you are glued to your smartphone in the presence of others but I doubt that is your MO.

Call it anti-social if you will but one reason boaters like to get out on the water is because it affords a respite from the landbound masses and many of their rules. Anyway, that's one of the main reasons I like to get "out there" and also why I prefer countrysides over cities.

You know as well as anyone humankind's inate will to keep on truckin' in the face of adversity. Despite some doors in life having been closed to me, there are so many other doors to open and corridors to explore. I am flourishing in Thailand on much, much less means.

Thank you for the good wishes and the feeling is mutual. Peace and love to you, too,  brother.

Rex

PS - What's normal, anyways?

• Like 1

I don't find being an introvert to be a negative in any sense.  "A wise person speaks only when they has something to say."

1. Introverts are not necessarily socially awkward. Just like shyness, social awkwardness is a separate trait from introversion. Many introverts can actually be quite charismatic in social situations. (In fact, introverts account for 60 percent of all lawyers, a profession that requires quite a bit of confidence speaking in front of others.)
  2. Introverts don’t hate people. An introvert’s lack of chitchat is often misinterpreted. People take it as a sign that we don’t like others. The truth is the opposite. Introverts often avoid small talk because we consider it to be inauthentic. We crave a more meaningful connection with the people we talk to.
  3. Introverts aren’t rude. Yes, if an introvert is completely out of social energy, we might start getting a little crabby or simply zone out. But we’re not trying to be rude — and we’ll be a lot more friendly if you give us some time to recharge alone.
  4. Introverts don’t need be “fixed.” Being an introvert is part of who we are, and it can be a source of brilliance. We are at our best when we embrace our nature and use it as a source of strength.
  5. Introverts don’t (usually) wish we were extroverted. Sure, sometimes introverts envy an extrovert’s ability to think quickly or fit naturally into a social situation. But we also take great delight in our inner world and our alone time. Introverts have many strengths that don’t come naturally to extroverts, and we wouldn’t trade them for the world.        https://introvertdear.com/what-is-an-introvert-definition/

I'm one of them there introverts. Dave's description fits me perfectly. Maybe that's why I like Action Tiger so much. Hey, reminds me of something another famous tiger says. "The wonderful things about Tiggers is Tiggers is wonderful things". Oh well, I like the quote. We introverts are ALL kinda like Tigger, we are all wonderful things. Most of us introverts (sometimes called "shy guys") are "rugged individualists". We wanna do things OUR way. That really irritates them so called "normal" folks. I've had my share of them "setting me straight". So, c'mon y'all, keep on doin' whatcha do. Even if the rest of the world doesn't agree. WE know what's right!

1 hour ago, Chick Ludwig said:

I'm one of them there introverts. Dave's description fits me perfectly. Maybe that's why I like Action Tiger so much. Hey, reminds me of something another famous tiger says. "The wonderful things about Tiggers is Tiggers is wonderful things". Oh well, I like the quote. We introverts are ALL kinda like Tigger, we are all wonderful things. Most of us introverts (sometimes called "shy guys") are "rugged individualists". We wanna do things OUR way. That really irritates them so called "normal" folks. I've had my share of them "setting me straight". So, c'mon y'all, keep on doin' whatcha do. Even if the rest of the world doesn't agree. WE know what's right!

I definitely need another “g” in my name. Why, tiggers is the best at climbing trees! Haha.

That is me.

Thank you all for being my friends. It really is touching. Also, thank you for allowing me to be me.

I hope, one day, with help from others, to truly figure out this game called life. It’s either that, or earn the record for most screw ups in a human lifetime. :)

Peace,

Robert

13 hours ago, Oyster said:

Heck I got you beat when it comes to goofy boats. I used to pick up dumpster scraps from a local lumberyard and glue the scraps together, slop some stain sealer on them and go to the water.  I thought I was in high cotton. I guess ignunt is bliss, or so they say.

So, I shouldn’t mention all the solid wood in this boat is reclaimed? ;)

Peace,

Frugal, Not Cheap (yeah, right;))

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chick Ludwig said:

Ok, let's start making our lists. I'll bet mine is longer than yours. It all started when I was but a few months old.....

Hey, no fair! You’ve had more time to compile your list! :) Perhaps we can figure a matrix of incident density?

I don’t even know what that means. Harhar.

Peace,

Coming For Your Title! :)