OC 24 vs 256

Tomd

Thanks for pointing this out. Having recently reviewed the weight study for the Ocracoke 256 there are some items we included to ensure a conservative study that probably shouldn't have made it into the published "empty weight. After reviewing with Graham, I will update the published number to more accurately reflect the real "empty weight". Unfortunately there are lots of ways to calculate this kind of number (a moving target) but we will be more consistent in the future. Let me try to break it down a bit. 

Ocracoke 24 published at 2400lbs with a 150hp engine (~300lbs)

Ocracoke 256 published at 4500lbs with twin 150hp or single 300hp (~600 or ~800)

The 4500lbs that we published for the 256 actually includes the following line items that probably shouldn't be included in the published "empty weight" of the boat. 

-Full tankage for 2 tanks at 55gal each = 660lbs. Normally published/calculated with 50% tankage

-350lbs (2 people standing at the console) shouldn't be included in the "empty weight" for calculation only. 

-Leaning post/bait well = 200lbs. This isn't shown in the renders but most fisherman want a bait well. I don't believe the Ocracoke 24 has this included. 

If you take out these (-330 (half the fuel) - 350 (people) - 200 (bait well)) you get about 3600lbs. 

The Ocracoke 24 displacement is shown with a single 150hp engine (~400lbs) so if you remove the engines from both boats your down to about 2800lbs for the 256 compared to 2000lbs for the 24 since the 256 has a twin installation vs. single on the 24. 

I'll have to ask Graham what else he included in the 24's weight but the 256's number also includes 75lbs for a T-top, 100lbs for the integral bracket, 60lbs of ground tackle, 100lbs of batteries and 100lbs for each fuel tank. All of which may be slightly conservatively estimated. At the very least, the 24 has no bracket so now we have about 2700lbs v.s 2000lbs for an apples to apples comparison. For the added length and dead-rise I believe this is very much in the ballpark. 

There's not much worse than seeing your beautiful boat sink lower and lower in the water than you expected. We always add a "margin of error" factor to the weight study that accounts for unknown weight that may come from additional hardware or just sloppy building or the occasional builder who decides to add an extra layer of glass all over the place. Hope that helps, and we will make an attempt to be more consistent with our published displacements.  

-Alan

Alan thank you for your response - and also to Graham who answered some questions in an email.

Another question - why is 1208 biaxial specified - I believe this is biaxial with matting? And I am led to believe that it is mostly used on GRP molded hulls and that the matting doesn't confer much structural advantage when laminated to wood - is this for abrasion resistance or am I missing something?

Thanks again