Wallops Island 12 build

Abyssdncr

Couldn't resist getting it wet this evening... So screw the trim paint for now. Love it! Great for lazy lake paddles, very maneuverable, but still easy to keep on a line. The water couldn't care less that the stringers are a little bowed in.

I tried putting some 3.5" foam blocks on top of the seat to try what the plans seat location might be like. I made it about 10' before pulling them back out. Padded seat on the floorboards feels just great though.

The wife came out to check it out after the little ones were in bed - it gets a lot more interesting to keep upright with 330 lbs onboard! Good times though - Jeff, you got the rowboat plans ready yet?

• 2 weeks later...

/em mumbles to himself:  "I don't need a canoe, I don't need a canoe"

I have spent the last 2 seasons of owning my B&B Lapwing resisting painting the sheer strake dark green.  You now make it even harder.  I usually resist commenting on paint jobs as they are so subjective and we each have our own tastes and the variations are infinite.  But I have to say I particularly like yours.

Dave, everyone needs a canoe. Or pirogue.

I think your boat would look AMAZING with a darker sheer strake. Do you still love her, by the by?

And the paint job in question, on this fine looking canoe? Agreed. Classy. Elegant. It really looks just right.

Nice work Abyssdncr!

Peace,

Robert

Yes, everyone needs a canoe or a pirogue, and a couple of kayaks, and a sliding seat row boat, and a sail boat, and ...

• Like 1

Barcalounger reinstalled - and it's in solid too! Made a pedestal out of plywood and scrap stringer stock that clamps to the floorboards. I can loosen the clamps to adjust the seat position fore or aft to tweak trim to suit.

If the functional test goes well, I'll get it all oiled up. Also thinking of taking out the middle of the ply and adding a basket weave seat sling of 1" khaki nylon webbing. That ought to still look decent if/when the lazy boy isn't installed.

0908162121a_zpsu9gre6et.jpg

0908162121_zpsypebe9we.jpg

That seat looks comfy enough to paddle all day. Stretch your hamstrings a lot, it helps with sitting legs out in front.

I'll definitely keep that in mind. We've been doing a lot of longer trips lately, and after two hours, my butt is dying... I swear, Tuesday morning I was still numb from the 18 mile trip from Saturday morning. Granted that boat has the worst seat out of the whole fleet, but after 5 hours and only one break, I doubt much would just by swapping boats...

That said, I've been pining a bit over Old Town's Next canoe, so I'm looking forward to putting some miles on this little ship. With some 12 oz fabric on this, I'm a bit less worried about bumping into rocks or rubbing a bit of sand in the river.

And you're right - this should be a right handy little vessel for chasing the local fish populations! I've already been contemplating anchor options. The thwart is just the right size for the cheapie automotive plastic cup holders, but even the floorboards do a fine job keeping a can of beer right side up. It's sitting right at 29 lbs, so it's sure to be a favorite any time a walk or portage is involved.

• 3 weeks later...

Jeff, et al,

Just thought I'd pass along some more feedback from someone with decades of paddling experience, vs. my 6 months of dabbling who came out to give it a test paddle earlier this week:

Great canoe! Aesthetically awesome, great primary and secondary stability, tracks and turns as well as any 12 foot kayak I've paddled and better than some, plus it's incredibly light weight.

So, for those chewing on this design, there's at least a second opinion...  ;)

That is nice to hear. Canoes are sure not my specialty! 

I think I posted photos, but a year or so ago I replaced  gunwales and some other wood in 12' fiberglass white water canoe for a local client. As I worked on the boat I liked what I saw and that is what inspired the Wallops 12.  Not being a canoe guy I studied the hull shape really close and while not a copy of that boat, I did take a lot of inspiration from it.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice boat indeed, I'm considering a more utilitarian build of the same canoe.  How does it paddle now that you have some time in.  My daughters are 125 pounds so what do lighter paddlers think?  Did you experience any tricky spots not logged in this incredible thread?  Would you rate a sturdy but utilitarian build as a good father teen daughter build?

You must be justifiably proud of the superb quality build.  Thank you for the hard work to assemble this thread as well.

Nice boat indeed, I'm considering a more utilitarian build of the same canoe.  How does it paddle now that you have some time in.  My daughters are 125 pounds so what do lighter paddlers think?  Did you experience any tricky spots not logged in this incredible thread?  Would you rate a sturdy but utilitarian build as a good father teen daughter build?

You must be justifiably proud of the superb quality build.  Thank you for the hard work to assemble this thread as well.

Thanks, Bob! My wife is 115 and really likes paddling it around. Tracks decent enough for a short boat and is very easy to maneuver. This would b a great team project! Also good for fishing, and despite not having any cup holders, there's ample space for a small cooler and a frosty beverage sits quite happily right there on a seat slat.

Everything went together perfectly, like the rest of Jeff's plans. The only critique I have of the design are the seat support stringers for a guy my size. If I ever add those, I'll beef them up somehow as my test article pieces off the boat snapped. This is a quick fun boat to build, and because there aren't any tiny frames, the lashing process can be easily shared without crowding anyone's work space.