Sailrite Fabric Cutters.

Pilotlon

After eye surgery, and finally deciding to retire-retire, I'm coming back around to getting my Short Shot project underway.  I'm looking at the Sailrite fabric cutters. The Edge (package deal) is a bit cheaper, but I can find no information on how hot the tip gets. The Engel is about $40 more, but specifies a heat range up to 1100 degrees.  Anyone have any experience iwth the Edge package? As expensive as these darned things are, I only want to buy once, and it needs to get hot enough to do the job.  Any input?

Never seen one but looks similar to the ones I use. I bought mine from HSGM USA. German made, industrial quality and about the same price. I have mine for a few years and they are built like a tank.

http://www.hsgmusa.com/Products/hsg-0-heat-cutter.asp

Sailriite is probably a good product at that price point. May even be made by the same company.  But if I order another, even though it is a little more expensive, I will buy the HSGM again Never had any issues with mine.

Thanks, Jeff.  They also sell the HSGM model for a bit more, but the R-blade is another $40, as at HSGMUSA.  Just now got an email response from Sailrite, and the tip of this Edge model gets to around 1000 degrees. The nice feature is that it's a package...R-blade included, and case, and 9.5 feet of cord.  Looks to be the "little brother" of the Engel model, and will probably do what I want.

Lon

• 2 weeks later...

I just used an old wood burning iron with a shading tip to cut my fabric (11 oz poly). It went through the fabric just fine, and fused the edges, but it took a little longer I imagine. If you're just making one or two boats, you don't need to go whole hog on an expensive hot knife.

I just used an old wood burning iron with a shading tip to cut my fabric (11 oz poly). It went through the fabric just fine, and fused the edges, but it took a little longer I imagine. If you're just making one or two boats, you don't need to go whole hog on an expensive hot knife.

Yeah, I used an old soldering gun.  I'm sure a specific design tool would work better, or more precise, but for a kayak or 2 the ROI would be low.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...