Modifications CS17

acreew

Hi Will-  I considered the same thing on the hatch and mocked it up-  I elected not to go that route as it seemed like access under the decking over the cockpit would make that compartment less useful.  My plan is for fairly light stuff up there, but bulky, like fenders and lifejackets.  It could work, but I did not want to go through the contortions to get to it-

As far as the bowsprit/spinnaker- that seems doable, but I would talk with Graham first-  I am going the route of the staysail before I think spinnaker-  but most of my sailing is solo or with the family (two small kids) so the complexity of the spinnaker is less appealing to me.  I't love to see it in action though!

JP

I don't think that would be a good way to access that fairly large space. The space between the seat top and deck is pretty tight. Makes me think of claustrophobic caving maneuvers. What problem do you foresee with the hatch on deck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattp,

I don't forsee a problem. I just like the way the boat looks without the front hatch. Would be interested if anyone has come up with a hatch that is functional and flush (or close to it) with the deck. I agree that the hatch through the bulkhead would be a pain.

Acreew-  check out this link- http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/fitting_out/flush_hatches.html  I have used this method on a couple of kayaks I have built and been quite happy with the result-  My next one will use some latches from underneath to make for a completely flush installation-  Alan did a remotely operated latch on one of his-  I am going with a traditional hatch on my 17 at this point, but am thinking about some alternative latching methods to eliminate the hinges and latch.  

JP

The stay sail is a hoot to fly. I have used it it wander home at slow speed when the wind drops off, or go screaming off at double digit speeds in a breeze. Downside is the stay sail is fussy to jibe, limiting it use for a single handed sailor.

I believe a screecher launched from a bow sprit would provide similar joy, while being easier to jibe. However helm balance is going to be a problem in a breeze.

Peter,

Thanks for posting my long ago posts.

I will report that I have been using this flush hatch system since 2007 when I launched 'Lively' and like it primarily for its looks.  I actually only use it for very light items when beach cruising otherwise not at all for daysailing.

dale

Will,

Access to the bow storage would be painful via the bulkhead.  I have a wooden box style watertight deck hatch that sticks up about 3 inches.  It does hurt the look of the boat but it is absolutely watertight and gets heavy use.  Some type of a flush hatch would look good but needs to be watertight since the forward deck gets lots of water.  You might also want the hatch strong enough to stand on just in case. 

Regarding the bow sprit, the forward deck of a CS17 is not a comfortable place to visit - not sure a good sized solo sailor could safely get out on the bowsprit to untangle things when needed. I know the stern of my CS17 lifts out of the water if I stand in front of the main mast.  

Thanks Randy, 

I think I will end up building the hatch as designed for the reasons you stated. The spinnaker/bowsprit thought came from seeing Flying Scots sailing in Deep Creek, MD ....of course now that I look at those boats closely, there is no bowsprit needed to use a spinnaker.......I have minimal sailing experience so feeling my way through this.

Will

OK......how about this...what about eliminating the foredeck altogether.....seems it would offer more usable space/better access to front of the boat, etc.....hatch could then be through the bulkhead.

1. Have others done this and what is your experience?

2. Any negatives to doing this?

3. I have already done framing for the foredeck, but seems that I could undo this pretty easily. Would assume that you would reinforce the front bulkhead with deck beam at the top?

Thanks,

Will