RAVENSWOOD MASIK PHOTOS

nub

Cool, thanks for posting! I know I want to do this for the next, and curious how others have executed. My first hack at a laminated coaming sucked rocks because the strips wet with glue start warping between clamps, so I think I'm going to make a male/female jig out of particle board to ensure full width clamping force this time.

I appreciate Jeff's voice of experience, which I greatly respect.  Before I made this frame, I measured the front floor-to-coaming height of my other SOF boats and my Hurricane Sojourn.  Finding the ideal height for me, directed the way I built and beamed my masik, and a smooth inside curve was more appealing to me personally.  Also, it seemed the front of the coaming would rest better on the flat center beam.   I don't think there will be any downside.  Once I paddle this boat I will give a follow up report.  Keep in mind I am not as limber as a lot of you younger guys, and every little bit to ease entry and exit helps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Lower deck height and/or more knee room.  Plus I can give the boat a much better looking deck line. Both of these are things I was never happy with on a couple of boats.  I have converted three boats to include a laminated beam as standard. I will probably change them all eventually.