Core Sound 20 Mark 3 Build - Chesapeake, VA

AmosSwogger

20 minutes ago, Chick Ludwig said:

Cool additions. I love the way you made the round corners in the cup holders. I'd do it, but the solid blade supports on my antique Craftsman band saw won't keep the bladd running true when opened up high enough to fit this thick of a piece in.

I always cut outside the line and tweak on my belt, disc and drum sanders.

• Like 1

It is true that we were off sailing instead of attending cup holding classes but we elected to leave the builders to personalize their boats their own way.  Carlita does have a cup holder along with a paper towel rack.

This is the fun part, the boat is done and there is no pressure produce, now you can play and make the boat live how you want.

God work Amos.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Designer said:

It is true that we were off sailing instead of attending cup holding classes but we elected to leave the builders to personalize their boats their own way.  Carlita does have a cup holder along with a paper towel rack.

This is the fun part, the boat is done and there is no pressure produce, now you can play and make the boat live how you want.

God work Amos.

Thank you.  I was just joking around about boat design/cup holders; maybe I should have put in some more smiley faces!

Nice work Amos.  You'll find the shelving very useful.

For builders who haven't installed the sheer strakes -- it's much easier to install the shelf-supporting cleats before doing the s-strakes.  Same for any drawers you may want that may be stowed between Blks 4 & 5 that [for easy access] slide out over the bunks.

For Chessie I'm still trying to figure out where to put hangers for shirts, hats, jackets, etc.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

More mods:

Installed a GPS holder using RAM mounts (highly recommend RAM mounts, the swivel balls aren't just plastic; they have an aluminum core, and the GPS mount has little roller bearings that ease insertion/removal of the unit).

1747108426_GPStopview.thumb.jpg.25d56990a31d8f840692a181deb37967.jpg

746944810_GPSmountsideview.thumb.jpg.88ea3af2caf036c1d92dd7b168d17e1d.jpg

My awesome wife sewed up an organizer for the cabin bulkhead.  It was so useful last time we went sailing we are going to install one on the starboard side as well.  As you are sitting in the cockpit with your back against the bulkhead, you can reach in and grab what you need without having to get up and go in the cabin.

1051175129_Larasewing.thumb.jpg.dd60ff337fd9231f19a3552bc3136783.jpg

canvass.thumb.jpg.eafc9a6da4521e9107f849ccc0a472c4.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Amos,

I love that organizer.  I have been using a backpack with lots of internal pockets in different chambers, and it's awkward to find stuff.  That looks like just the thing.

It looks like there's about a half-inch pleat tucked into the side of each pocket to give volume.  Is that right?

• 2 months later...

I'm sure Laura is honored.

Remindes me of how I named the Penobscot 14 that I built in 2003.  I was working on a list of favored names and casually asked my wife, Anna, what she thought of naming the boat "Anna."  After a brief thoughtful pause, she replied, "I'd be honored."  That happily ended the search.

"Anna" is still in the family and with my daughter Suzie in Pennsylvania.  However, she's returning it to me because [in Pennsylvania] home-built boats can be titled and registered only by its builder.  I'm told that the same is true in Ohio and a couple of other states.

13 hours ago, AmosSwogger said:

Finally got around to naming the boat.  She is "Larissa", named after my wife who helped build her.  My wife's name is Lara, which is a shortened version of Larissa.

Larissa.thumb.jpg.da5a5c629af01cb271d2fd8b83d52042.jpg

Beautiful name Amos. I am curious to know if you have rowed your boat much, I'm not as strong as I used to be and trying to figure out if it's worth leaving the cockpit coaming open for oar storage or just closing it off permanently for added buoyancy and storage up front for misc. gear? A imagine a 20' boat would not be easy, I've rowed a 16' Aluminum boat about a mile when I was in my 20s now I'm in my 50s and it doesn't sound like fun! I've been combing the internet for pedal powered propulsion system and found a couple I might try. Any thoughts would be appreciated.  I've just started fitting my inwales and cockpit sides.

I stuffed a piece of foam I cut from a old kick-board and shoved them in the back part of the forward end of the coamings  to prevent things from sliding backward. Those cabbies are really handy. I'm not sure about plugging them permanently. I'd guess if you ever turtled  (not likely) having that flotation that high might be problematic. I'd want to get Graham or Alan's blessing first.

As for oars I'm with Amos. I'm will eventually get to that. I didn't want to cut down the coamings as I might be tall enough to not need to. In the meantime I have a three piece collapsble SUP paddle that worked pretty good in my one time use of it. I tried a regular canoe paddle and it was too short. I'm going to put some clips on the port side of the cabin roof to hold it so it's handy.

My plan when I make oars is to use the DuckWorks carbon fiber connectors to make them two piece. For storage I'm going to put a port in the left aft bulkhead. To store the oars, remove the port, slide the pieces into the aft storage and then once they clear the seat hatch, slide them aft and then close the port. In theory this should work, but I think my oar length becomes limited to the storage locker length which I think is 5.5 feet. I'll measure first.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Todd (CS-20.3) and I are going to go on a short overnight sailing trip leaving from Harborton, VA (this is on the Chesapeake Bay, eastern shore of VA) if anyone wants to join us. 

We are meeting at the public boat ramp around 9-10am on Friday, 4/29, returning sometime Saturday.  Feel free to come along.  There are a ton of excellent sparsely populated anchorages everywhere in this area; we'll pick one based on current conditions.