CS 17 Update since we seem a little MK3 centric right now...

JPower210

JP,

Ooh, color me a little jealous! Man, that van, and that boat are a recipe for some great times. Change the oil every 1,500 (it works HARD!) and keep a steady eye on those head nuts, check torque every oil change. Oh, and slow down. Mindset vehicles. Ha ha.

Oh, good times, indeed! I hope you have the little sleeping hammock/loft. :)

As for the compliments, they were all related to the beautiful thing you made, that cool boat. You earned them, and you are welcome.

Peace,

Robert

Or you could just have beaten the crap out of it, assumed that cylinder #3 would fail around 30K miles (I think that was the one whose airflow was "disturbed" by the oil cooler (1971) ) and freshen it up with a new cylinder, piston, pushrod seals and a rebuilt head. My Dad and I got to the point we could drop the engine in 45 minutes, and complete the partial rebuild in an afternoon. I can only dream about such servicability with our current Eurovan MV Weekender. Or even just a manual transmission.

Awesome progress with the boat.

On to the next adventure! ;-)

How about upping the cylinders to the 1776 cc conversion. If I remember right, this doesn't require boring the block and heads---maybe---check-it-out. Oops, I just did and you do have to machine the block and heads. Anyway, it really helps the power without adding so much that you are over-stressing the engine. I'd also add a two barrel carb and manifold and exhaust to suit. Guess I'm getting carried away...

How about upping the cylinders to the 1776 cc conversion. If I remember right, this doesn't require boring the block and heads---maybe---check-it-out. Oops, I just did and you do have to machine the block and heads. Anyway, it really helps the power without adding so much that you are over-stressing the engine. I'd also add a two barrel carb and manifold and exhaust to suit. Guess I'm getting carried away...

The bus is a 76- so 2L engine with FI which is nice from a reliability and power standpoint for doing any towing.  But Action Tiger has a really good point-  I live where I do in large part because I want to slow down-  the bus will just make that a requirement rather than an option.  

Nooo!

An external oil cooler and big spin on filter are cool, for the extra capacity, but don't monkey. Keep the gear reduction boxes, and just slow down, man.

My wife and I put over 80,000 miles on the 1600 in our bug (67, the original 1500 was clapped), and lord knows how many on the Westy. The bug is still running around town, by the by. The pea shooters still chirp! The bus is long gone. Hope it's happy and loved.

Those motors are sort of like The Old Man and The Sea. Simple, but perfectly balanced. Don't go monkeying. Except to change the oil.

Oh, and an electronic ignition is pretty necessary. Running high octane gas helps when you're loaded, too.

If you do any engine swapping, I would suggest the Subaru swap that is becoming popular. The radiator issue is easily handled, but the complexity issue is on you. Too many wires for me!

I use an old Benz diesel wagon, now. Maybe I have something for funny sounding cars? :) Or is it slow cars? Hahahahaha!

Cross post. Ooh, a 2L! You are golden, boy!

If you're going to get carried away with a VW bus engine you can't do much better that this :)

Yep- I can just picture what my wife, who is awesome, would say if I said I was going to build a plane.  And, I don't think it would tow the boat very well....  :D

You know, I'm not far from where all the Rutan hubbub occurred/occurs. I remember the first home built composite push prop weirdo thing I saw. Geez, does that age me? I just looked up when their plane flew around the world non-stop! What happened to all that time? ;)

I think I would really enjoy building a plane. I know I would not enjoy one millisecond of being airborne in it. :) Lost my nerve for planes years ago. Not even a 777. Can't do it.

Suffice to say, we, all here who are married, found AMAZING women (or men, hey...), found saints.

Here's to great mates and never growing up!

Man I'll have to dig up and old photo of us in our bug or bus. It will be a picture of a photo, but I'll look. I really do love "hanging" out with like minds.

She looks lovely!  And a good thing about the painted decks is that they'll be cooler than varnish.  My deck and seats are varnished walnut.  It is amazing how much hotter they are than the off-white seat tanks.

Thanks-  as much as I love bright finished surfaces, I also wanted to minimize heat and maintenance-  I have come to the point where varnish looks great....on other people's boats.  :-)

• 2 weeks later...

KR2. I haven't caught up with Allen in ages. Your boat is looking beautiful Peter. Where did you get the aluminium for your masts? I haven't been able to find any that is close to the specs called up for the CS-20.

I was in brief contact with a guy who said he could supply the sections we commonly use. Give him a call. 

John

Performance Metals P/L

32 Melbourne Road, Riverstone, NSW 2765

(61) 2 45 7777 69 Ph.

(61) 2 45 7777 70 Fx.

info@performancemetals.com.au

www.performancemetals.com.au

Thanks Alan. I know Performance Metals from aircraft building days. They weren't very helpful with the OD and wall thicknesses in T6 when I emailed them but I will try a phone call and see if I can find this person John, that might be more helpful.