Moccasin 14 Hull #4

BillB

Almost finished, just the skirts and related support bows left to make.

I liked the slotted in wales I built into hull 3 so incorporated them into this boat along with flotation voids in the ends.

The slots come in handy for mounting removable pieces to the boat like bows for the skirts and rod holder mount that spans the boat just far enough forward to not interfere with paddling.

The spreaders and the breast-hook are mahogany and ash with clear pine used on the gunwales.

The boat is finished bright with satin gloss varnish.

It will be the boat I take on this years' trip.

Bill

post-387-0-61389800-1459806682_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-45021800-1459806693_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-81186900-1459806706_thumb.jpg

post-387-0-95090400-1459806718_thumb.jpg

Thank to all who responded.

I have mentioned to Graham that I considered the $200 it cost to build my first 12 foot Moccasin the best $200 bucks I ever spent! This boat was a little more due to 3 sheets of ply instead of 2, but other than that it is the same boat as the 12 with few differences in design. I always personalize my boats with updates to the look or feel of the craft but not the original design, like the slotted gunwales or skirts and floatation. Since you can not get back into these craft should you capsize, I want it to at least stay afloat with all my gear strapped in rather than have to chase it down the river, which I have done.

I haven't weighed this boat yet, but it's sister is 37 lbs. The hull # 1 was 36 pounds but there have been additions that will increase weight by a couple pounds. This boat will weigh more, it hasn't made it out the shop yet to be weighed,

I'll amend this thread with the weight. The attached image shows the fishing rod mount that fits into the slots in the guwales and locks in place with rotating wood catches, so easy to put on and lake off, same with the design of the bows for the skirts.

Bill

Sorry for the double post . . ..

post-387-0-64231700-1459914778_thumb.jpg

Thank to all who responded.

I have mentioned to Graham that I considered the $200 it cost to build my first 12 foot Moccasin the best $200 bucks I ever spent! This boat was a little more due to 3 sheets of ply instead of 2, but well worth the added cost when balanced against the enjoyment of use.. I always personalize my boats with updates to the look or feel of the craft but not the original design, like the slotted gunwales or skirts and floatation. Since you can not get back into these craft should you capsize, I want it to at least stay afloat with all my gear strapped in rather than have to chase it down the river, which I have done.

I haven't weighed this boat yet, but it's sister is 37 lbs. The hull # 1 was 36 pounds but there have been additions that will increase weight by a couple pounds. This boat will weigh more, it hasn't made it out the shop yet to be weighed,

I'll amend this thread with the weight.

Bill

• 1 month later...

Hi Bill! 

She's beautiful! I just finished the construction of Moccasin 14 hull no. 2. Your process photos on b&b have been very helpful - thank you! I just primed my moccasin a couple days ago so I am getting ready to paint (hopefully this weekend). I'm currently working on a more in depth blog of my moccasin 14 build, but I will post some pictures here till I'm ready to release it to the world wide web. She's ending in at 46 lbs - the extra sheet of fiberglass along the bottom belly plus a keel and an extra coat of epoxy added up quickly. The gunnels are radiata pine, thwarts are old barn cherry + maple and the breasthooks are cedar + maple.  I'm a female in my mid 20's and an amateur boat builder for sure. Building this canoe alongside my mentor, Jody, build has been one of the most thrilling endeavors of my life. I'm almost sad to be finished - but that just means maybe I should build more boats! 

Anyways I have a couple of questions for ya:

1. Are your canoe skirts custom made? Could you point me in the direction to where you bought them?

2. Have you had a second person in the canoe with you? If so, what is your seating arrangement? I made my removable back seat rest from leftover plywood along with little rest support notches glued to the inwales (see attached photo) in the center of the hull (little closer to the stern) - and just using a boat cushion to sit on.. its actually pretty comfy.. but if I do have a passenger in the boat I'm wondering if you have any easy advice. 

3. Did you do any fairing? I used west systems fairing compound to smooth out the glass tape on the inside and outside of the hull - afraid that the 2" fiberglass tape seam line would show through paint/varnish and I wanted to give my thickened epoxy radius along the chine a smoother curve. I wanted to varnish the inside but changed my mind thinking you could still see the fiberglass right through. Fairing also made that impossible because it is such a dark color. So I'm painting! And happy with that - yet another extra seal. Your varnish looks incredible on hull no. 4 :)

Thanks again for posting! Following your work intently!

- Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

Thank you for your kind remarks.

I made the skirts using rip-stop nylon that I purchased at Jo-Ann Fabrics. You can get the same material, silicone coated, from a Kite supply shop.

The idea was to make them as light as possible. These fold up and easily fit in a 1 quart zip-loc bag when not in use.

The rip-stop nylon will stretch when wet and shrink back when dry but water will not weep through.

I painted my Moccasin 12 and Moccasin 14 Hull # 1 so I didn't have to see the 'holes' in the boat. ☺

Let me know If I can be of further assistance.

Bill

wburk4133@comcast.net