An other OC20 build !!

Lotus

Once you have a linkage geometry figured out, do a mock-up.  The greater that "X" is, and the closer those two mounting pins at the left are to each other, the higher the loads will be on the pins.  "X" becomes a multiplier.  Right now it looks like "X" is 4X the distance between those pins.  That means that if a 200# person sits on the end of the seat, the pins (and their mounting) will see an 800# shear load.  This is a manageable load, but not by using light duty attachments.  

• 1 month later...

As was noted to me recently by another builder, some of the best examples of boats are built by amateurs with serious skills and no price point restraints, in terms of their craftsmanship. Many of these "works of art" are simply a reflection of their piano builders nature, but most are by folks that love their work, enjoy doing it and understand that an extra hour or two fine tuning something, isn't really that costly on this particular project. 

• Like 3

Nobody does this, thinking their going to get rich. Hell, breaking even or some better luck every so often, would be nice . . .

I've seen some masterpieces over the years, one recently on a real Tancook. The owner asked me for some (restoration) help, then kicked me off the site, eventually refusing help from any of those he contacted, preferring to do masterful work alone over a 5 years stretch. Built with a far greater level of detail and joint precision than any manufacturer could hope for, she was still the banner waver for modernized, traditional construction methods. He was a custom furniture builder by trade and his skill level, one not seen in a few generations. Every surface was scraped smooth, clear finishes buffed to perfection, you felt guilty sitting aboard for fear of a scratch. I could build like this, but it would take 3 times as long, at least as much an increase in labor price. I have had the opportunity to do this level every once and awhile, usually on my own stuff, though a few paid customers. One fellow a few years back came by looking for a teak and mahogany deck on his 16' runabout. He knew this wasn't going to be cheap, nor easy to care for, but he always wanted a "fancy" deck to play with, so 160 linear feet of live edged veneers later . . .

• 3 weeks later...