Core Sound 17 Mkiii hull 6: Avocet

Blkskmr

On 4/3/2017 at 10:18 PM, Blkskmr said:

I was expecting the first sail to be chaotic, due to our inexperience with the boat, and a major fist bumping event due being finished.   I'm not sure I could actually land a fist bump but it was neither.  It was unbelievably pleasant.  We sailed 9.2 miles, averaged 4.2 had speeds up to 7.9.  The most interesting part was the feel of the boat.  It felt secure and sedate despite the occasional puff from no where. The boat tracked very well.  Winds were 10-12 with just small white caps.   Conditions were near perfect. The boat was stiff.  Masts would bend and unloaded nicely.  Both my wife and I wanted the winds to kick up just to see what else the boat could do.  My wife feltDSCF0139.thumb.JPG.90cd02005152e4bf2594efa5f42eddc3.JPGDSCF0139.thumb.JPG.90cd02005152e4bf2594efa5f42eddc3.JPGDSCF0144.thumb.JPG.f0d3ce1f4e70150ba97a164d00429855.JPGDSCF0146.thumb.JPG.d214c5d61727b089d38c1630f0cc9370.JPG comfortable driving the boat, something she is not on our dinghy.   There are a few changes and adjustments to be made.  Please note the boat will not live on a lift, but it is a nice photo. 

If you are building and are getting bogged done, hang in there, the boat you are building will be much better than you can imagine.  

We are done, except the sailing.  Many thanks to Alan at B&B who was always willing to listen and help formulate solutions. 

Best Regards 

• Like 1

Many thanks to everyone.. This is kind of an omnibus response... 

Wile E... I like the motor. It is light, easier to use than a gasoline outboard,  fits in the seat compartment for storage.  I am concerned about battery life. As long as you are content to move at 2 to 2.5 knots there is plenty battery life. If you need the motor  for an emergency run, then perhaps better to stay put.  I think of it as being a replacement for rowing.  My primary use will be to get down a creek to the wind then back.   I will plan on sailing out of any other predicaments.

Chick,   I unfortunately will not make the Appalachian mess about.  My trailer although perfect the boat, is used and has rust in all the wrong places and I have yet to figure out how to move boat without damaging it on a long trip.  Also I need to stick close to home for a while to build up some political capital. I am gone most weeks and home only on weekends. I will be at the fall messabout.   My apologies.  Thank you for the kind words on the boat. 

Drew... It was a mistake but our boat shares its colors with IKEA stores.   I originally wanted to make the boat a cream yellow but we had so much leftover blue paint from a prior project that it seemed wasteful not to use it.   A friend made a comment that the sheer  strake(?) was overly wide and large, so we painted it bright yellow just to be sure no one would miss it.  The deck is a white blue.... looks very white to me but it is supposed to be easier on the eye in bright sunlight.  I think blue with a varnished shear would be a better combination .  Our boat when seen up close is workman like quality... not furniture quality... but it works very well.  We are very pleased.  However I am open to offers from IKEA for a sponsorship. I would gladly promote disassembled furniture and meatballs all over the sounds of North Carolina.

Steve JW & Steve W  Thank you. I appreciate the comments. I am fortunate to have a wife who likes this sort of thing. We work well together and when we don't there is cold beer.  The hard part for me was allowing her to take over a part of the project and then letting her do her part without me constantly interjecting.  She did her parts well. And unlike me, she did not have any redo's58ed96adba779_csmkii041115pic3.thumb.JPG.48d121b1181d48cbbf77a1af57e9145a.JPG

Pete... It was nice to motor about.   I wanted to see if there were any leaks without being in the middle of the river and then having real problems. Fortunately no leaks.  I would recommend a quick splash n dash  once you get to that point. It was a great motivator and relief without having all the line tangling around your ankles. Best Regards.

AmosSwogger... We do understand about motivation and the constant effort.  It seemed like for a while we would work our day jobs 8 to 10 hours  then 3 to 4 more each night on the boat then 16 or so more on the boat  over the weekend. I think we did that for the first year then  did nothing just about for the second.  We had some moves etc and I am sure what I just said is an exaggeration.  I am gone a lot and am generally prone to complaining.   We are slow workers and we would spend as much time talking about what and how to do the next part as actually doing it.  It can be a struggle.  Toward the end we adopted a just get it done attitude.  It has been worth it.  The boat was amazing on the first sail.  Focus just on the next task..not the big picture.  That seemed to work best.

Craig and Paul... last but not least... Thank you  for posts. It is nice to get it done even better to have folks cheer you on.  I appreciate it.

Best Regards

• Like 1

On 4/3/2017 at 10:18 PM, Blkskmr said:

One of the questions that seems to come up a lot is, how does  the boat sail?  The boat is comfortable and secure in relatively heavy wind.  Please see the attached  photo.  We sailed yesterday from 10 to 4.( RH side of charte.. 10 to 4)   These are wind measurements taken in Oriental. We were out in the Neuse.   As you can see there were some puffs and the wind was pretty consistent in the high teens.  In my dinghy this would have been very nervous sailing and in fact we probably would not have chosen to gone out alone.  Conditions were predicted to be 10 to 20, so we put a reef in the main from the start.   We had two people onboard and water ballast in.  It was never worrisome or uncomfortable.  I have a good video but it is too big.   24mb versus the allowable 16mb.  If you want I will send via email.  Please excuse dumb hat in video.   All in all the boat allows us to sail when we otherwise would not.  

Wind on 04 17 17 22897.jpg

• Like 1