Core Sound 17 Mkiii hull 6: Avocet

Blkskmr

Blkskmr, boy do I understand needing to keep moving! The messabout is coming QUICK! And gathering folks to help, too. We found that four people can do the job. I'm so thankful for our little bunch of Appalachian Messers! The couple of times Summer Breeze needed flipping, they dropped what they were doing and scurried up the mountain to help out.

Will you be able to finish your boat before moving to the coast?

Steve and Chick, 

I felt compelled to tape the hull/sheer seem.  Once done, I felt OK putting the sheer strip on.   I did glass up to the sheer strip.   I think I will glass top of cabin house and down about two inches.  I will then tape remaining seems. Everything will receive the minimum of 3 coats of epoxy, primer then paint.  

I have looked forward to getting to this point for months. I have ordered sails, requested deck hardware layout so am, I hope, in the short rows.  If nothing else, I can visualize the end. I figure I will be finished between June and August. Now that the boat is on a trailer and mobile, I can breath easier.  

Best Regards to all.. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

It has taken a long time but the hull(#6) and spars are complete.  We took the boat for a test motor this last weekend, filled the water ballast and emptied it.  Only a small drip from bottom gudgeon which was an easy fix. If all goes well, we will sail this weekend. It has been two years, three houses, two job changes, three sanders, acres of sand paper,  and cases of rubber gloves. ( and we need more rubber gloves now)  Most important, without my wife's hard work, patience, opinions, and sound advice, this boat would not be complete.  She has been a willing co-conspirator. 

Richard Johnson

DSCF0106.JPG

DSCF0109.JPG

• Like 1