Official Watertribe EC/UFC 2016 event discussion.

Alan Stewart

4v60dt.jpg

Apparently Alan (green line) got to test his portage system.

Mike Vacanti: Thanks. I didn't know about the rules change.

Tom Lathrop: Even though Chief is always right,     I agree. The two-boaters should at least have to perform some sort of heroic action to compensate. Like starting from the Alabama/Florida boarder. :D  Or at the start, reciting "I am a two-boater, two-boater am I. My mast is too stuck-on, my mast is too high." while patting their heads, rubbing their tummies and dancing a jig. There are a lot of possibilties for creative fairness here.

Pete

Not sure what time Graham weighed anchor this morning, but he has only make about 5 miles so I presume he took a bit of a well deserved rest. Meanwhile Dawn is moving right through the Thousand Islands on her way to Chokoloskee. Alan has started out across Florida Bay. Bill and John are heading upwind toward Flamingo.

Steve, I agree with the fascination. I think I'd be terrible at the racing part, though, because I'd be so enamoured of the environment. I'm pretty sure I could stretch that route out into 8 months without batting an eyelash!

That said, my son and I are about to build us a boat what has done the EC before, so who knows? Of course, if I trailed a boat all the way across the country, I'd have to stop and sail with all the cool people I met on this forum, so it's an 8 month deal, either way...:)

Are the drop outs weather related, do you know? I know it's been NASTY in this race before.

Graham did not stay long at Check Point 3 Flamingo. He has elected to sail the outside route to Key Largo. This means sailing south from Flamingo and then sailing NE along the Keys to Key Largo. This is longer but the water depth is greater. John Bell has also elected to sail the outside route he is a little ways in front of Carlita. Meanwhile Alan is tacking across Florida Bay. The winds will be stiffer tomorrow so that may be why they are pushing through the night. Dawn has passed through Chokoloskee but instead of heading back out to the gulf like the sail boats she is staying inland following the Wilderness

Waterway.

Wetfoot,

I have been waiting for the WT results page to be fixed up. Last night & earlier if you refreshed Class 4 it said something like 'this is over' and everyone that had not finished got a DNF. It has just been changed so that everyone not to CP2 is a DNF. I checked on wanders (first not at CP2) and it looks like he's on the trailer at St. James City across from.Sanibel, so maybe they all have dropped out,

Also the time for Roo to CP3 is shown as 2 days 20 Hours 5 Mins. DWSB said in SOS’s blog that Roo got in to CP3 at 14:47 on 8 Mar and he should know if anybody does. That is 3 Days 5 Hours 47 Mins from 07:00 on 5 Mar.

The table has been updated with the latest times.

It looks like Roo is on his way, and once he fights his way upwind to the Keys, he should have a reach or at least an easy lay to Key Largo (Key Largo is 39 Miles away at 240 degrees, so an east wind is 150 degrees off his bow and southeast is 105 degrees).

I am also waiting to see what lugnut does- He’s been at CP3 since about 1600 yesterday.

Tom,

That little 'Whoops' when he got underway looks like me trying to leave an anchorage single handed

EC 2016 Class 4.pdf

It is really neat to me to know what's going on. These reports help us track our pals, but also reveal so much about the race. Very good stuff on this thread.

Are MisterMoon and ZerotheHero the new Bash Brothers? Instead of crushing homers on PEDs, they rush homeward wearing PFDs! Sorry for the lame baseball joke. :) Good job and cheers all around!

Thanks again for all the postings and updates, please keep them coming.

The fearless leader is on a cruise while testing his product. Unlike so many other plan sellers on the internet, he is one of the few that eats, sleeps, and  understands his product and their abilities before he also turns loose his drawings on paper. He is constantly attempting to tweak and improve his products, and this includes his power boat designs as of late.

Grahams course is not his typical most efficient line to the finish. There are some shoals in that area. Experimenting with the self steering rig? He would rather spend more time on his boat than on the beach at Key Largo?  Having some problem with the boat? He seems now to be on more of a bee line to the finish.

We need a volunteer to interview Graham at Key Largo and write up a trip report.

I was just speculating. But Graham did say early on that he planned to make this trip of cruise, according to the report by one of his seasoned sidekick. Add that to the winds, I added my thoughts. Who knows.....I am just an armchair lurker on this venture and stayed dry, fully fed and rested the entire time.  So I won in my division or maybe tied with a few others here. ;<}