2.5 HP Suzuki

Jknight611

• 1 month later...

If ya REALLY love and respect your Zuki, he'll never hydro-lock on ya. Mine get's a little upset with me after he's been hangin' in the shop all alone. I have to snuggle up to him and blow in his tank to get his gas a-flowin'. But only the first time. Guess he's just lonesome...

During my first motoring solo in "Chessie" (a Core Sound 20 Mk 3) with empty ballast tank, the 2.5 Suzuki (15"shaft) cavitated excessively.  The cavitation plate was just at the surface of the water.  However it was deeper and ok with 3 adults aboard.  But I sail mostly solo.  I'm going to have to replace it with a long long shaft (20" version).  But the photos of the new 2.5 Suzuki (both long and short) have a "plate" on the shaft that would seem to prevent full rotation for reverse! unless the motor is mounted on a bracket that extends aft of the transom by about 6" to 8" or so.  At least the top of that "plate" would have to be below the bottom of the transom (just like the cavitation plate now has to be).

image.jpeg.2e6357ae3809005e87ec95ea3df3f8a1.jpeg

Am I seeing this wrong?

BTW, my 2.5 Suzuki (15" shaft) is a "new" old version (no big plate on the shaft) -- except it has only 3 hours of just-fine running.  I'll sell it for $500 -- buyer pick up in Manassas, Virginia.

15 hours ago, Chick Ludwig said:

If ya REALLY love and respect your Zuki, he'll never hydro-lock on ya. Mine get's a little upset with me after he's been hangin' in the shop all alone. I have to snuggle up to him and blow in his tank to get his gas a-flowin'. But only the first time. Guess he's just lonesome...

Actually, it sounds like your wife is quite lonesome with all this talk of loving your Zuki. It's like you have a Japanese mistress. 

My wife is already calling my boat 'My Mistress.'   

All this snuggling up to your motor, etc., is making me a little nervous, Chick.  If I have to do all that, FOR SURE my Zuki will be a "she"!  Just sayin'.  

And none of my girlfriends were never that high-maintenance, as well as my bride of 47 years.

Guess I need to clarify this snuggling and such stuff up. No threat to Miss Debbie. Mr. Zuki is not human! I know this comes as a shock to some. He's not even animal---like my cats. I snuggle and kiss the cats all the time, and so does Miss Debbie. They are both "boys"---or, at least they used to be---if ya know what I mean. Boomer and Mitty Kitty. They aren't jealous of Mr. Zuki either.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2017 at 8:00 AM, Thrillsbe said:

Pete-- ....  It's interesting how they added a spacer to get the long shaft version.

Many years ago, I realised that OMC had the same sort of tower housing extension to increase the shaft length on their motors. This was with a longer drive shaft to replace the short shaft one. The one on the zuki looks so "clunky" and awkward because of the slim line of the rest of the housing.

I have had a Suzuki 2.5 for 6 years now.  I used to push around a Walker Bay dinghy initially.  I spent 6 weeks in the San Juan/Gulf Islands for 3 years running and used it to death.  Had a little water in the gear case year 3, time to replace the impeller anyways.  Dunked it in the Great Salt Lake, no amount of ultrasonicing the carb made it run right so I bought a new carb for under $100.  Have popped out the spark plug multiple times to clear the cylinder of oil after less than careful storing in the back of my van.  Not a big hassle really.  Put it on a 15' wooden boat and motor-camped Georgian Bay for 2 weeks with it.  Now I use it >10 times a year on my Phoenix III to go fishing when I don't want to bother with sails or oars.  I guess what I am saying is that I couldn't be happier with it.  All the things people complain about are true.  They are also a non-issue to me considering it was about $700, easy to fix, and it just always runs.  Next it will hang off the back of a Spindrift if I can get around to ordering a kit.  

• Like 2

Alex, the times I have had hydro lock is when I have transported it on the "proper" side, but maybe not on an ideal angle for more than 6 hours.  Bouncing in the  back of my van not properly laid down invites it.  However, it is such a easy thing to deal with, pull the plug and clean it, pull the starter a few times, reinstall plug and you are on your way.  I don't really see it as a problem.