2.5 HP Suzuki

Jknight611

For the record, modern automobiles are required to have fuel systems which are ethanol tolerant.   The durability testing is done with "normal" gasoline (E15).  I verified this with my colleagues still working in the automotive industry.  Now, if you have an old car, like our '86 VW Cabriolet "ice cream car", you should probably use only ethanol-free fuel.  

What's the fuel mix on those things; 16:1?   I get the "evil eye" for using my 2007 (26lb) 3.5hp two stroke that burns 50:1 gas/oil fuel ratio.   I can only imagine the reaction the cloud of blue smoke from a Seagull would receive.   Of course, the old motor looks cool and if you don't run it the mileage and emissions are pretty good.  

I've had 2 seagulls- the really simple ones with no clutch or recoil starters. They were dependable and hell for stout but crude. I had one on a 16' ply Great Pelican, and it seemed to go as fast towing a 20' inboard/outboard as lone boat! The thing that wouldn't work today is the starting procedure. The instructions said to press the brass button on top of the 'carb' until you see a sheen on the water. I say 'carb' because I was told by someone who knows that it isn't really a carburetor but a mixing valve, sort of like a model airplane motor. The 'shear pin' was a spring of about 3/16 wire that wound 3 or 4 turns around the prop shaft and had the ends turned out to engage the prop & shaft. If you get one be REAL careful not to hit anything- Heaven only knows where you could find another. If memory serves, the mix was 10 to 1. Especially since they are out of production, I don't think I would buy another.

Best regards

Alex

• Like 1

More on the "oil-level" indicator.

I tried [again] to photo the oil-level indicator.  But I couldn't get the photo to show clearly the actual oil level.  So I sketched what I saw onto the relevant page in the owner's manual.  The shaft was vertical.  Here is my sketch:

image.thumb.jpeg.5a21c62744ba28fa8917dd7986d1aa23.jpeg

My opinion is that the oil-view window is useful only to alert [you] that oil is probably too low if it doesn't show AT ALL in the window.  If oil shows, then you're ok.

Thanks, alexscott.  I'm also wary of buying British antiques. But all this talk of oil levels, hydro lock, and that extra 10# has got me reluctant to buy into modern technologies.

I live in the Appalachian foothills. Blue smoke is a way of life in these parts!

I hear you, alexscott.  (Haven't fired it up, yet.)  But here's the deal.  I'm the proud owner of an open sailboat.  I build her for day sailing and fishing.  Camp-cruising is a new concept for me, an experimental thing.  Not sure how much of it I'll even do.  For now, I'm trying to focus my spending where most of my activity is.  Currently, extended cruises aren't that big a factor.  The chainsaw motor seems like a cheap entry fee into the world of cruising.  If the bug bites me hard, I'll take the plunge on a "real" motor.