Boat movies

Chick Ludwig

I don't know about y'all, but I'm gettin' mighty tired of this Winter jazz. As I sit here this morning, it's 26 degrees out and not expected to get above 35. Snow showers are expected. I've hardly gotten to work on Summer Breeze for weeks, much less gone boatin' in Turtler. Reading has only taken a little of the edge off. I'm up to book 12 of the wonderful Richard Bolitho series by Alexander Kent. Maybe a bit of visual stimulation will help. I have a DVD of Erskine Childers Riddle of the Sands that I think I'll watch today. I bought it used from E-bay last year.

This brings me to the subject of this post. Do any of you fine ladies and gentlemen have any suggestions of good "boat movies"? Of course there are the old stand-bys like Moby Dick, Treasure Island, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, The Gregory Peck and Ioan Gruffudd movies about that intrepid war hero,Horatio Hornblower, and ,of course, the old "swashbuckler" pirate movies, but boats only play a minor role in these. Then there are lots of war movies like Harm's Way, or PT-109, but these are still not what I have in mind. I'm thinking more of movies that boats are a major part of the plot. Maybe Old Man and the Sea? So, help me out here. How about some suggestions. Let's see if we can fill the movie library with enough films to get us through this interminable Winter.

Chick,

Good boating movies are not very plentiful.  One that comes to mind that might be what you need is DOVE.  My sons and I really enjoyed that one when it came out long ago.  I am currently holding out much promise for the new movie about Donald Crowhurst.  The choice of Coin Farrell for the lead looks perfect.  Of course, Robet Redford is a good actor too and look at the mess they made.  "Voyage For Madmen" should get you in the mood for the  movie.  Great book.

Thanks, Tom. I'll see if I can get it through E-bay. Keep 'em coming y'all!

I can't seem to find Dove, (The Dove) except to rent on Amazon Prime which I don't have. I also ran across All is Lost with Robert Redford to rent on Amazon, too.

How about White Squall with Jeff Bridges? Wind with Mathew Modine?

And how can I forget Master and Commander!!!!

Here is a list of sea movies: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls033702081?ref_=ttpl_rls_5

Chick,

Just shows how hard it is to find a good boat movie.  All is Lost may be the worse boating movie of all time, considering the budget and talent available.  Wind is good enough for the non boating crowd but is pretty lame.  White Squall is more about people than boats.  Master and Commander is on Dish about every week.  Amazon is your friend.

Hey, just watch some of Allan's videos and learn some more about boatbuilding.  Chuckle!!

OK, you got me to click on The Dove this afternoon.  Good sailing sequences of a 23 foot Ranger on the open ocean.  Will finish watching it tomorrow or later.   Another one I found while checking the ROKU is Deep Water about the 1968 race alone around the world that included the tragic Donald Crowhurst. 

As I said, Amazon and ROKU are your friends.  The rest of what is available in movies on Dish, cable,etc are mostly nauseatingly repeated again and again and then again.  That is unless you are willing to keep forking over more and more money.

Right now, we are breathlessly waiting on returns from New Hampshire.  Yuck!

Life of Pi isn't really a boat movie but there is a boat in almost all of the scenes.  Also not a boat movie (but it only seems right to mention it on this forum) is the Wind in the Willows, some adaptation of which should include a mention of messing about in boats.

Chick, maybe you'd like the weather here.  It's 100 degrees right now as I eat my lunch but it's supposed to get hotter today (and tomorrow).  Yesterday the temperature reached 104 and the day before that the high was 108.

"Master and Commander" was well done, but does a terrible job of following the books.  It is like a compilation of scenes from the first 5 of the 20 ¼ books in the series.  That being said, the scenes and representation of Navel life are extremely realistic.  I am probably too critical of movies from books.  I can accept that stuff is left out, but cannot accept changing or adding things or using them out of the original context.  I respect the author too much.

Chick, please to note my teenaged son recommended the Jaws, and only for the sailing bits. The hey day of the beach cat!

I will stand by the sailing in Summer Rental because they sail in a Pelican a lot, and I think they're cute. The movie is a typical movie, because they are almost all schlock, but there is a decent amount of small boat sailing.

Sailing doesn't do what movies do, is the problem. Movies are RIBs with a dozen 250hp outboards attached, not jib trimming.

A Swallows and Amazons movie would be cool, eh?

Oooh, what about Two Years Before the Mast?

Wait, are we talking imaginary sailing movies? :)

Did Riddle of the sands star Michael York? If so I reckon I saw it when it first hit the cinemas about 30 years ago.

As for other boat titles how about "The African Queen"?

Also there was a documentary called The Sindbad Voyage in which a traditional dhow was built in Oman and sailed all the way to Canton. The man behind it was Tim Severin and it came out in 1982. Can't remember a lot about it but the building of the boat was interesting - planks were all roped together and sealed with pitch or some such.

Yes, the Michael York one. I bought mine from E-bay. Amazing how cheap they can be had for this way.

I forgot African Queen. I enjoyed the movie, and the book. C.S. Forester wrote it as well as the Hornblower books. I'll look for the Sinbad Voyage movie.

Well, I looked for The Sinbad Voyage, but could only find the Ray Harryhausen series. Could the name be different?