Wow!! last post Nov 2015??? Been away but---

Charlie Jones

I have a nesting pair of bald eagles on my property. They've been there a while and the nest must weigh several hundred pounds. Buzzards and vultures are anywhere you can run over a possum or raccoon. I'm not sure how to tell the difference between a raven and a crow, but we have lots of crows around. I've heard both of their "calls" and the raven sounds like a raspy crow, maybe after spending a night in the local bar, with the bald eagle couple and a buzzard or two.

To clarify my excitement: we were lapping a mostly dry impoundment lake in the foothills on a trail along the edge of, essentially, a cliff.

The birds were all riding up drafts off the cliff face, so were mere feet away when we stumbled upon them. Like, I'm pretty sure I could pick them out of a lineup...

A raven, at least our type, is generally a little bigger than the average crow, and doesn't run in a big gang. Ravens make a lot of different noises, including mimicry, and are amongst the smartest of all birds. We had one last fall figure out the lever on our ice box and come steal cheese.

Berndt Heinrich wrote an excellent book about ravens. They are one of my favorite birds.

Didn't the original bird post sound like the setup to the worst joke ever? Three birds walk into a bar...:)

I have a nesting pair of bald eagles on my property. They've been there a while and the nest must weigh several hundred pounds. Buzzards and vultures are anywhere you can run over a possum or raccoon. I'm not sure how to tell the difference between a raven and a crow, but we have lots of crows around. I've heard both of their "calls" and the raven sounds like a raspy crow, maybe after spending a night in the local bar, with the bald eagle couple and a buzzard or two.

Paul,

Liz would not let this pass as she is an avid birdwatcher.  There are no ravens in the southeast and the raspy sounding rascal you hear is a fish crow which is a bit smaller than the more numerous American crow.  Ravens are quite a bit larger and are only in the north and west.  We are beginning to see more bald eagles (no golden eagles here in the east) along with osprey and pelicans following the ban of DDT.  Also have quite a few white pelicans around this year.  I'm not a birdwatcher but do live with one and cannot avoid learning a factoid here and there. 

Can't help Charlie as I have no idea what is going on. 

I'm not a bird watcher, but have come to appreciate them with our woods. We have a lot of brown pelicans down here and they're bold things, many being pretty people friendly, in common fishing locations. I saw a guy "catch" one when he cast a jumbo shrimp from a bridge once. He didn't know what to do, so I took the rod from him, reeled him up and had a buddy hold him, while I pulled the hook. Damn things are a lot stronger than you'd think too. We too have a rising population of Osprey here, with the state actually providing some nesting on top of power line poles. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...