Wiring

Chas231

Thanks Tom. I think you're right - I may have been over thinking and confusing myself. All the devices I'm installing specify the proper fuse protection. All the lights are LED's and nothing pulls over 8 amps. I'm using a circuit breaker panel along with regular fuses. 8 gauge wire runs from the batteries to the helm. 16 gauge wire should work for everything except the wash down pump, which is rated 8 amps. I'll run 12 gauge wire for it. Still a lot more to wire, but I think it will work for me.

post-4417-0-11962400-1458088565_thumb.jpeg

post-4417-0-43773300-1458089236_thumb.jpeg

Embarrassed to have to ask, but . . . I want to replace a 10 amp breaker with a 15 on my AC panel. Should be simple, two screws on the front of the breaker and one on the back connecting it to the bus bar. Seems I have to remove the bus bar to get the breaker out, removing the screws from the other breakers on the bus bar. Is that right?

post-4417-0-09843200-1458341380_thumb.jpegpost-4417-0-17217100-1458341522_thumb.jpeg

When I first saw the panel wiring, I thought it would be a problem because of all the crossing wiring.  If the load wires entered from the bottom, they could be routed to either the ground bus or to the individual breaker terminals with no crossovers.  This would allow better access to the breaker terminal screws for removing or installing breakers. 

Would that solve your problem?

Yep. Looks like the same set- up. The only connections I've made so far are the lines in, so it shouldn't be too bad. Just seems like a poor design feature. I'll be loading the panel with breakers in the extra positions to hopefully avoide taking it all apart too soon in the future. I should have done that on the bench before installing the panel. . .but I seem to learn most things after doing it wrong the first time. Routing the wires from the bottom is a good idea. Thanks Tom.