Outer Banks 20...Build

GAP333

I just got off the cell phone having ordered a Jig Kit for the Outer Banks 20.  So I just had to tell someone!  

This is a first build for me, so I will welcome any and all advice as this project begins.  I need to wait for Graham to let me know when the kit is available for pick up.  I live in Charlotte NC so the drive will be easy.     

I am very pleased with the look and what I imagine the "feel" of this boat will be. I have a 17' Siren sailboat and always sailed as a preference in the past.  I want a power boat now for use with the grandchildren. 

If you have built this or a similar B&B boat please share any starting pointers. If you have a photo library of your build and would share it that would be a great help.

Greg

Hi Greg. Looks like we're neighbors. I'm just up the road in Hendersonville. I built the first OB-20. It was the prototype so there was no kit, or even plans. All I had was a lines drawing, outboard profile and set of full size frame drawings. I wasn't "computer literate" at the time, so I don't have pictures. The pictures of Princess, at the B&B website are my boat. I traded it to Graham for my CS-20 Mk-2 kit.

There are building threads on the B&B forum that you'll find helpful, and I and others are always here to help. I'm close enough, under 2 hours, to run down to your place for gas money and a "burger doodle" for occasional help. If you haven't worked with epoxy before, maybe I could be there as you first get started. Feel free to give me a call at 828-595-9432.

We also have a little group of builders here in the Southern Appalachians. Here's our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/401422193348393/        We'd love for you to join us! We're planning on a messabout on Lake Hartwell in April. Maybe we can get Graham to bring Princess down, or let someone else from over there bring her.

I know that you'll be very happy with the OB-20 for Lake Hartwell and the other lakes we have near us.  I wish I had it now!  

Do you have a motor yet? I kept the 25 hp. Tohatsu 4-stroke (Nissan with different labeling.) from Princess that I have decided to sell. It has low hours. Let me know if you're interested.

Hello Chick...Hendersonville is a great area.  I am originally from Ohio but moved to Winston Salem in 1982.  My wife and I like it in NC alot and now my grandchildren are here, daughter and son in law in Mint Hill and my son in Charleston.

I have seen your boat in photos.  It sold me on the build!  I have probably bitten off more than I can chew!  Carla did tell me they have an OB20 but she didn't mention it had been yours.  Great work, I hope I come close to it!  This is a really a first for me.

Thanks for the offer of help and a visit.  We have some very good "hole in the wall" eateries.  Or when I get stuck, we have a bunk bed that the kids aren't always using, so you can spend the weekend, LOL. 

If I haven't sold my 17'Siren by then, the April messabout  sounds like fun.  Please let me know if dates get set, Ill get some time off.   

I'll keep the motor in mind...I am currently sending Carla and Graham all my $, !!  But its nice to know you think I will actually need a motor some day!!

Greg, the messabout is set for Saturday, April 30, 2016. Stay the day, weekend, or as long as you want. At least a couple of us will be doing a cruise around the lake for at least a couple of days, and we'll have some other activities. You can get more info. by looking under "events" on our  Southern Appalachian Messabout in Boats Facebook page. You haven't "bitten off more than I can chew". Just break it down into small jobs and finish one at a time. Thinking of doing and finishing the whole project is very daunting! You can DO IT!!! We've all been where you are with our first builds.

PAR, WOW, yes, it's a small world! We live just off Sugarloaf, and Stepp Mill Rd. Let's "meet up" when you're here next!

Greg,

Here are some build threads from the forum to keep you occupied while you wait:

http://tinyurl.com/OB20-by-Ronny-B

http://tinyurl.com/OB20-by-striperick

http://tinyurl.com/Ocracoke-24-by-nz-lance

It might pay to whip up a one sheet (of ply) skiff while you wait, to become familiar with the basics. When we were starting out, my wife and I were poor and i told her she could build a boat as long as it only used one sheet of plywood. We have many fond memories of that low freeboard skiff.        

You've chosen a sweet looking craft. Best wishes on the build.

Pete B                               

Greg

Here is the link to my build.  I did not purchase the kit but I am sure I would be much further along if I had. This is my first build also.  If you google "Outer banks 20  Bacon" you will see a great blog. There is someone on here also keen2buildagain from Austrailia. I am sure he will chime in as well. 

http://messing-about.com/forums/topic/8765-outer-banks-20-24-progress-thread/

I cant say enough good things about Graham and Carla. VThey have been very helpfull to a "ham and egger" like myself. 

• Like 1

Hi neighbor PAR!!! Hope to see ya this Summer! Do ya bring a boat? Guess we better swap this over to a private message now---sorry Greg.  Hey Greg, maybe you can give me some tips on where to launch on Lake Wylie or Norman. When it warms up, I may run down with Turtler until the Breeze is done. Never been on either of these lakes before.

JP Thanks for the welcome.  I will post photos of my build.  I'm waiting to hear back that the jig kit is ready, possibly a few weeks.  Maybe we will be building around the same time.   I am very please with my choice, I think Graham designed a fantastic boat in the OB20.  It ticks off most of my desired features: easy launch/retrieve, cabin for overnight, family (read grandchildren) friendly, manageable length, economical motor, seaworthiness, seating, hardtop, swim platform, not too long, good looker!

Chick, thanks for the encouragement.  I was just starting a Devlin design that is also great (the Pelicano 18), but changed to the OB20 because of some design factors that suit me better.  I think the April messabout is doable for me.  I drove up to the lake one day just to check it out.  Id like to be on the water there, looks fantastic.

Striperick, I have been looking at the photos of your build...and taking notes!!  I think the photos are great viewing and will be invaluable when I begin.

I have a good sized detached garage but with a normal door height. It just came to mind that I will probably need to do the cabin and pilot house outside the garage!  Anyone have an approximate height when building the pilot house?

• 1 month later...

I made the trip to Bayboro, NC this past Saturday to pick up my Outer Banks 20 kit, hull #44.   It was five hours each way and a couple hours at the shop with Graham and Alan.

I am very please with the kit.  The precision of the cuts is excellent.  Alot of thought was put into the marking each part and I also received some great advice.  All in all I couldn't be more satisfied.  I thought I would include a photo of the pile of parts. But I don't see any link to add a photo.

I have never made anything as large as a bird house.  I would recommend this kit to any other fool like me who thinks they can plunge into something they know nothing about !     

"What Bob said" on photos. I also look forward to your build. I'm only a couple hours away. If you get stuck, or just want some help, give a shout. a few others in our little Southern Appalachian Messabout in Boats bunch are even closer to you. We all like to help.