B & B UFC Canoe

Steve W

Tom,

I think you mis-understood.  I thought Alan is building a sailing canoe based on previous comments and the photos. So I was asking if Alan was building it for the EC 2016 to challenge Meade Gougeon with a sailing canoe.

To answer your question, I don't think I am up to building your cruiser but I still do dream about it a lot.  Two years ago a friend and I went on the Erie Canal in a chartered 24ft Nomad and really enjoyed it.  We met a couple that had I believe about a 30+ version of your cruiser.  If I am remembering correctly, they worked with you on the design. Ever since then I have wondered about it.  They were doing the Circle and very happy with the boat.  Am I correct about this?

I am thinking my next boat will be a CS 17 Mark 3 or another kayak or a 50/50 sail/[paddle beach cruising canoe.

dale

Dale,

That is the Bluejacket 28 De De built near Richmond, VA by Henry and Dianne Hassel.  They took off on the Great Loop a couple weeks after the first launch of De De.  They completed the Great Loop in one year while taking many side excursions and are now getting ready for a trip to FL to do the St Johns River and as well as other stuff for a couple months.  They traveled a total of about 7500 miles on the Loop.  There is a Facebook log of the cruise.  https://www.facebook.com/vesseldede

There is nothing in a Bluejacket that you are not easily capable of.  I lust for a Mark3 also but am getting a bit long on the tooth for such a project.  Maybe Graham will let me sail Carlita.  I'm leaving now to go over and have a good look at progress of both EC boats.

Tom,

Thanks for the info. Occasionally, our West Coast Trailer Sailing Squadron WCTSS goes over to St. Johns so I will watch for them.  If they come over to the Clearwater area, please ask them to contact me. They can park at my dock on Clearwater Beach for a few days.

Please report back on what you see on both boats.

dale

Tom,

Thanks for the info. Occasionally, our West Coast Trailer Sailing Squadron WCTSS goes over to St. Johns so I will watch for them.  If they come over to the Clearwater area, please ask them to contact me. They can park at my dock on Clearwater Beach for a few days.

Please report back on what you see on both boats.

dale

Dale,

Both boats are coming along although the tri is ahead and will certainly make the race start.  The Mark 3 has a lot of work left although Graham swears that it will have a trial launch the end of this month.  I really like the raised deck cabin CS Mark3 boats.  The raised deck does not appeal to some people but, to my engineering eye, they are quite handsome as well as highly functional.   Graham has installed a sprit much like the one we had on Southern Skimmer for an asymmetrical spinnaker.  There is also a small CB under the forefoot that can be operated from the cockpit.  This is to relieve the fierce lee helm that wanted to push my arm into my ear on a reach in Skimmer in a bit of wind.  The regular CB is also redesigned to give a greater range of balance.  Since he will be sailing single, a method of actually getting the boat off the beach and into the water without outside help is also in the works.