Introducing MARTY!

Kudzu

Yet another rebuild of an old Curlew frame. I should name it Guinea Pig instead of Marty.

• Final version of the laminated coaming frame/Masic.  This will become an option in SOME of the boats in the future. It is pretty simple to make and really opens up the knee room.

• Version 2 - drop down skeg.  This looks very promising! Skeg is pretty large but it should be totally adjustable.  So I should be able to dial in exactly the right amount of skeg for the conditions. Should allow me to put more rocking in and still have a boat that will track when needed.

• Skeg is center mounted.  Sterling kayaks has done this and talking to Reg Lake I have been impressed with that I read. So really anxious to test this out and see what it is like. 

• Testing the new 6 oz. fabric.  I like this fabric! Like all things boat,  it has drawbacks but if it holds up to being on the water I will add it to the stock.  It has NO STRETCH or shifting of the fibers! That means it is hard to sew on with no wrinkles. VERY LITTLE shrinkage.  Will not contour around a baidarka or even the Fantail stern well.  But it is a beautiful fabric and sews well. Very tight weave and I see now I should have thinned the first coat a lot to get it to soaked in better.

Zebra paint job has been on list for  well over a year and I backed out last time I built a boat. Last minute I decided to go ahead and do it. Like all first time efforts I could do better. Details are rough but this is a user boat and I didn't try to make it to pretty. It's going to get beat up.

xihCbxkl.jpg

GNdZeoDl.jpg

rbLetnTl.jpg

SPGkjcsl.jpg

• Like 2

Your stripes are phenomenal! If you want to make it a little more equine, put a black muzzle on the end, and perhaps the slightest line indication of a mouth.

The eyes are very good. I guess we should call them occulli, and should prevent you from ever getting lost.

Hope all your experiments work out well.

Your stripes are phenomenal! If you want to make it a little more equine, put a black muzzle on the end, and perhaps the slightest line indication of a mouth.

The eyes are very good. I guess we should call them occulli, and should prevent you from ever getting lost.

Hope all your experiments work out well.

I agree with painting the muzzle black just to add that extra little bit. 

• 3 months later...

Starting on the ends there is always the chance of having a bunch of fabric when you get to the coaming. Then you have deal with bunched up fabric and there is nothing you can do at that point and you have wrinkles at the coaming you can't get out.

Nylon works well sewing from the ends because it has a lot more stretch and and you can sew pockets and stretch it over the frame. It's very hard to do that with polyester, not impossible but not easy!

Another question on this fabric.  Watched your double corded stitch video again at lunch today and wow were you getting that 11.6 oz stuff on snug.  Were you able to replicate that level of tautness with the 6 oz?  If so, I'm going to have to go back and snug some stitches up...