Marissa 18 Build

treywil

The boat finally saw water this evening! Testing some props and she's a great running boat so far. Have to try 1 or 2 more props and once the leaning post gets built it will be ready to roll. I will say it likes a 4 blade prop better than a 3 blade. She hops right out of the hole and turns on a dime at speed. Very well designed boat Graham and Alan! Will post final performance numbers soon when it's dialed in but right now I'm seeing 2.2 gph at 22knots, nothing short of amazing in my book!

post-3968-0-90473900-1466038542_thumb.jpg

post-3968-0-45472900-1466038575_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've experimented with motor height, props, and various loads and settled on a 13 1/4 x 15 cupped 4 blade prop. I'm mostly after low end torque and fuel economy and this prop works very well. It's slightly under propped with just myself but the hole shot and economy at cruise is exceptional. I'm seeing 1.8gph at 20mph with a top speed of 32mph. With a 3 blade I was able to see 35mph but cruise economy and low end power weren't as good. My boat and motor combo also benefited from the stern lift of the 4 blade prop. There was a slight tendency to porpoise sometimes with a 3 blade but I did not do very much testing with the 3 blades. The boat handles light chop and boat wakes very well even given the light displacement. The bow section just splits the water as intended by graham. I guess this is a wrap until I get the money to start the next one, maybe the ocracoke 20 or 25. A 22 or 23 would be just about perfect though. Thanks again to Graham for designing a great small boat! Hope this info can help future Marissa builders!

• Like 1

And another note regarding the prop, mathematically the prop can not even go the speed I'm getting at wot but I've checked and re checked rpm and speed and it most certainly does. I can't figure that out but it's an older stainless turbo. Maybe they were conservative with pitch measurement?

I'm no expert on prop performance or Etecs, but your economy numbers seem a bit off.  I'm just guessing here, but that boat should be north of 3 mpg.  You may be leaving some performance on the table with your selected prop.  Here's a comparable performance bulletin for your review.  Obvously not the same boat but certainly not any easier push. http://www.evinrudeuae.com/Content/Pdf/neutral/performanceReports/PE771.pdf

Not trying to be argumentative, maybe I've been reading THT too much.

Oh, and nice job on the new ride.  Love the color.