Marissa 18 Build

treywil

Hi everyone, I'm new here but purchased a Marissa 18 kit back in July. I was finally able to get started and will try to post progress updates as regularly as I can. I'm liking how everything came out from Graham, I can already see the thought and planning that went into it. I'm so glad I got the cnc cut plywood kit, it saved a ton of time already and there's no question on how precise the fit is. So far I have about 20 hours into this project, although quite a few of them were spent visualizing and thinking! 

Decided to dry fit to see if anything need adjusting and mainly to see the shape. Just starting but so far so good!

post-3968-0-89883000-1448245193_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Garry, it took a bit to get it where I wanted it.

With thanksgiving this past week I managed to glue the hull and side panels together, glue all doublers and fit chine battens and side stringers between family time. Next up is pulling fillets on stringers and bulkheads and frames and gluing chine battens. Those fillets are going to take me some time!

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been able to work on the boat as much as I'd like the last couple of weeks but made some progress. Bottom and sides are on, boat was flipped to glue up inwale and a few other things, and flipped back. It's now all faired and ready for glass. I should be able to get some solid work done after Christmas.

post-3968-0-64311800-1450666825_thumb.jpg

post-3968-0-56662500-1450666862_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve, I am building the boat in Suffolk but that's not too far away. I'll send you a message. I'll try to check back on here more often.

I don't feel like I accomplished as much as I wanted to since glassing and fairing and finishing are so time consuming working solo. Just a lot of fairing, spraying, and more fairing but shot topcoat on the bottom and a light show coat on the sides just to get it shiny to verify areas on the sides that need a little more fairing before final shot. They are close but not quite there. I flipped it this morning and moving on to glassing the inside, should be time consuming but shouldn't take too long. 

post-3968-0-47557100-1451947001_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I've been plugging along since my last update, I glassed the inside below decks completely with 1208 and an additional layer of 10 oz on the chines as the plans called for 20oz total on them. The 1208 may be overkill but it's done, just hope I didn't add too much weight. Sole is glued down, casting platform is done, and console is all glued together. Just have to shape the edges like I want and glass it. 

I do have a question for anyone else that has built this regarding the outboard mounting bolt holes. I have a hair more than 10 1/4" from the top of transom to the top of the sole. If the top mounting holes are 1 7/8 on center down from top of transom and the bottom holes are 8" on center below that, that adds up to 9 7/8 to center of bottom mounting holes; 3/8" above the sole. I'm concerned it will not be enough to allow for the bolt head and washer. I am waiting to glue down those pieces until I know for sure how everything will line up. I can make a kind of a shallow well in that area to gain clearance if needed and possibly help with deck drainage. What has everyone else done? Have I messed up along the way somewhere? Thanks so much for any advice!

• 1 month later...

I have a suzuki DF60A (104kg) on my Marissa ( Piranha ) which is build heavier than the original plans because of some alterations I did . With 2 people on board, an auxiliary 22kg outboard hanging at transom and a 15" prop she gave 30.2 knots on gps at 6200 rpm. These boats are super efficient thanks to Graham designs ! 

In approximately a total of 1 hour at 5000 - 5500 rpm and an other 3 hours at 1500 - 2500 rpm (5 to 7 knots fishing for albacore ) she just burn 22 liters of fuel !!

post-4121-0-97803100-1458113187_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Treywil,

I am a first time builder working on an Other Banks 20.  Tonight I was scrolling through discussions trying to get paint tips.  Would you mind providing some details on the paint/technique/colors you used.  I see the photo you posted on March14 which looks great.

Thanks, Greg

Hi Greg, I used all Alexseal products for the paints and primers. Basically I faired with 80-120 grit on a 2 ft long board I made out of 6mm plywood to get close, then sprayed superbuild primer and faired that and then sprayed finish primer. I sanded that with 320-400 and then sprayed the topcoat. My hullsides are stars and stripes blue and topside is stark white. It has some pretty nasty vapors so a good respirator amd ventilation is a must. I've used awlgrip in the past but I think alexseal's superbuild sands a little better.

• 2 weeks later...