Marissa / Eco18 design & kit questions

MattGent

Hi all,

I have a nearly new Suzuki 30 4s, 20" with T&T, and I also have a small aluminum trailer.  What I'm missing is the right boat for them.  Among a few designs I think the Marissa would fit the bill well.  The "right boat" to me is the largest, versatile, v-bottom open skiff that will plane with 4 people and my engine. A few questions:

-Is there a plan view line drawing anywhere?  I'd like to overlay a few designs (and compare to my old boat) for how the interior lays out.

-Interior & layout pics are few on the website.  It appears there is a small step-up casting deck at the bow, and a full height bulkhead with access holes in the stern ahead of the motorwell.  Short of having the plan view, can anyone provide the spacing for these on the hull?  How far forward of the transom is the bulkhead, then from there to the console, length of console, and from front of console to the forward deck?

-Are the forward deck, console, and bulkhead with cut-outs included pre-cut in the kit?

-What is the hatch or access to the forward storage area?

-Where does the fuel tank live?

-Can the kit be ordered without the console or forward deck cut from the sheet?

-Has anyone built alternative layouts...tiller, side console ,benches, seating options, etc?  Images?  I've seen the thread here from Lotus and like the flip-up rear bench.

Appreciate your input!

Matt

Hi Matt,

My Marissa has a Suzuki 30 but without the tilt trim unfortunately. She runs in the low 20's wide open. Mine will plane with four people.

Here is the deck plan view.

The foredeck and console is in the standard kit. They can be left out if desired.

The casting platform forward has two hatches in it's deck. I did not build mine waterproof as the the locker is waterproof and drains into the cockpit. The hatches could be made waterproof if desired.

You should be able to scale from the drawing.

The fuel tank is under the cockpit sole below the console and holds 18 gallons. it is a standard Moeller tank.

The boat can easily be customized. A number of builders have told me that they were going to customize their boats, I cannot recall seeing any pictures of them other than Lotus.

post-127-0-55429600-1446828703_thumb.jpg

Hi Oyster,

Thanks. You can expect to see a lot more innovation. You are right, Alan has done a great job on the website as well as a lot of other stuff, not to mention our collaboration with Buck.

After the completion of the cat we had to decide where the company was going. I could have carried on with Carla doing as much as we could but slowly grinding the business into the ground as we aged out. We had long recognized how good Alan was and decided to offer him a partnership. Earlier this year we formed B&B Yacht Design inc. with Carla, Alan, Beth and I as equal partners. As Carla and I age out they will take over and eventually inherit the whole business.

We kept Nat on to help out and David is doing most of the machining giving Alan and I more time to create. I see B&B growing a lot more in the future. It gives me a lot of satisfaction to know that the business will live on and that the builders who had enough faith to build our designs will know that they will continue to have support and keep up the value of their boats.

• Like 2

Here is Marissa overlaid on my old fiberglass production rolled-gunwale skiff, which is similar to a BW Montauk 17:

marissa_badetta_overlay_zpsrbx3grtg.jpg

With the jump seats in the back, it could do sandbar trips with ~6 people.  Has had power from 35 to 115 over the years.  Other than the casting deck flare they are nearly identical in plan view.

And here's an overlay with the Bateau.com PG20, a narrow panga-style skiff, which has a similar running surface to Marissa:

marissa_pg20_overlay_zps0tpif1z3.jpg

Hi Matt,

I think you can custom build your Marissa according to your needs . Take a look to my Marissa named Piranha   http://messing-about.com/forums/topic/9269-marissa-eco-18-went-to-europe-photos-of-build/

Lotus I have checked out your build and it seems you focused a lot of time to get it done quickly.  Very impressive.  

I saw this question asked, but I never saw the answer.  How long from start to finish did it take you to complete your build, and I'm assuming you had to cut all your stuff and wasn't able to get the pre-cut kit.  I may be wrong on this point.  Can you clarify your details?

Hi Bigeaux20, yes you are right , I have to cut each and every panel. As is write in my tread I received the plans and started my project on May 2014 and her first swim was on March 2015.  But whats the point of how fast and quick one do something is important ?? As long as you are enjoying doing something right and that you love doing it doesn't matter how long it takes to complete , right !! I can say that last year I spent lot and lot of hours working or more playing on this project that turned out relay nice and I'm very satisfied with this boat !!

Hi Bigeaux20, yes you are right , I have to cut each and every panel. As is write in my tread I received the plans and started my project on May 2014 and her first swim was on March 2015.  But whats the point of how fast and quick one do something is important ?? As long as you are enjoying doing something right and that you love doing it doesn't matter how long it takes to complete , right !! I can say that last year I spent lot and lot of hours working or more playing on this project that turned out relay nice and I'm very satisfied with this boat !!

Agreed.  My question wasn't rooted simply in how fast can it be done for the sake of instant gratification.  It's more curiosity about what to reasonably expect, and what type of sacrifices I would have to make in regards to family, occupation, etc...  The journey of the build is something I can't stop thinking about, so I am not concerned with only how quickly I can get it done.  Being extremely impulsive, I am trying to vet this out mentally and make sure I am prepared to see it to completion.

Thanks for the response.  

Bigeaux20 if you are ditermend to build this boat ,some day it will be done ! . I you dedicate a couple of hours a day soon you will see her floating !! and I can assure you that these 2 hours will be the most satisfying of the day even more if you involve your family in this project .  

Working on something you like to do most is not work but relaxation and its satisfaction is immeasurable !!

If you want to build a boat just because you want a boat than that is a different story. In this case I wont recommend to start this type of projects because i fear it will never be ended !

GOOD LUCK :) to you and to every boat builder dreamer ;)

Hi Lotus,

Have you caught any fish yet?

Hi Graham,

Hope you are all fine . Thanks for your designs, help, and patience for answering my questions especially when I decided to do some modifications, yes last summer was a great fishing summer and have landed some nice fish. The best one was a +10kg albacore tuna !!  Now I'm practicing slow jigging and vertical jigging but not so lucky yet .

BTW that Ocracoke 256 is driving me crazy  ;)  ;)  ;)

• 1 year later...

I just finished a Marissa.. the wife calls it the wreck cause it was in her driveway for 4 years due to the lack of a heated garage and no work on it in the cold weather... buy the kit and save yourself some headache.   Lots of cuts that aren't well explained to a newbe even though it is old hat to someone who has built before. Make sure your marriage is strong and get a bottle of gin if your building with out the kit... ( it's the only way to get up the courage to make some of the cuts and fix it later) the plans are over layered like a drunk guy tried to thump them all down at once on a limited space on 16 foot of rice paper x 4 feet wide so, it is best to be drunk when your reading them... ( on the old drawings only half of the console is there) OK. Here is the good news.. if your one in a hundred and you finish with your wife still in tow then you have an awesome boat.. rides high, weighs nothing 1200 pads with fuel and motor 40hp turn on a dime and gets up on plane in 2 seconds at half throttle.  Don't change a thing on the designA