Tandem Crawfish Pirogue

Uncle Frosty

Looks awesome! I am impressed.  I am going to share those photos, this is (I think) an under appreciated design.  Your build will probably help that. :-)

Now, as for seat position I have a formula that is SUPPOSED to give a rough location based on the paddlers weights. I would love to compare it to what you are seeing. I plug in the paddles weight and it supposed to give me the positions of the seats. It warned that some minor adjustments might be needed but I would love to know how close it is to reality.

Now maybe this is a dumb question since I am a kayaker and not much of a canoeist, but did you try paddling tandem facing the other way? Looks to me that if you turned around it might balance better as a tandem.  What is the front seat in the photo appears way to far forward to paddle tandem. Looks like it would make the bow plow unless it was a really light person in the front.

• Like 1

Being a canoe guy, I think he turned it around to paddle solo. Easiest way to make a big canoe a small canoe is to turn it around and sit in the bow seat backward. Again, that's my guess...

It is a cool little boat. I build pirogues in ply and sometimes lapstrake, and we use them to pieces.

This is a very neat looking little boat.

To paddle solo, I am sitting on the back of the bow seat, facing the stern. Keep in mind that this design is symmetrical, so both ends are the same. It doesn't matter which direction you paddle it. And, yes, the bow seat is too far forward to paddle as a tandem.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Glad you can not look too closely.

That is a really neat little boat. I build a pirogue model we have evolved over the years in either wood (dory lapped sides, splined cross plank bottom), or super cheap out of ply. We don't use seats, but either kneel/squat on pads, or stand and pole/paddle.

I firmly believe if a person could only have one boat, it should be a 17ish foot canoe. Paddle, row it with outriggers, camp, sail. A good canoe, well built, can do it all. If it will only be used in flat water, a nice little pirogue comes second.

And, Frosty, even close up your boat looks cool. Never apologize. Nobody who ever built their own boat would point out the flaws in your boat, for fear of having their own boat's flaws exposed! :) And the rest will probably be unable to detect the flaws you point out. ;)

It is a nice looking boat. Well done.

• 3 years later...

Thanks for posting this, I have the plans and am planing to build one this winter. I was a little worried that it would be too small for me (i'm heavier than you) but watching the video I think it will be just what I want. Looking for a craft to tie on a float plane and go up shallow rivers to do some steelheading in the spring, I have built a Vardo but getting older and I'm not too graceful getting in and out of it.

• 4 months later...

Uncle Frosty:

Nice! So give us a review; how does she paddle compared to other boats you've paddled?

Regarding the position of a bow seat, serious canoes sometimes have a bow seat that adjusts fore-and-aft to trim the boat to account for the weights of the stern paddler, the bow paddler, and any gear. They are sometimes known as "slider seats." See example below.

Paddle on!

506132606_canoeseat.jpg.b17ab9771b6f9ab23a187210df46d7d8.jpg