Hurricane Joaquin

Jknight611

All the best to our friends along the Atlantic coast enduring Hurricane Joaquin. You are in our thoughts and prayers!

BTW, Lots of space at our place if anybody need to evacuate. All the sanding is done, so you would be safe from forced labor! During Katrina our family was scattered all over the place! Worst part of the whole show!

It's still a bit early to get upset about Joaquin's path, which is currently still moving away from the USA. She'll turn tomorrow sometime, depending on the midwest low that is presently dominating the weather pattern. I'm hoping the jetstream is moving faster than usual and the storm gets sheared and steered farther east, which will mitigate it's strength and impact. It's not likely to make landfall, but it really depends on the western edge's location to land.

Hurricanes are far and away the most negative thing we face along the eastern coastal areas.  Especially true for Coastal North Carolina because we stick so far out into the Atlantic.  As a result, we watch the progress of them with a seriously interested eye.  When I felt the air become cooler and drier today, I breathed a sigh of relief as that spoke of a cold front that might help steer the beast away toward the east.  Many of us have had our shops flooded from past storms but we may be lucky enough to dodge this particular bullet.  I am in a waiting mode to see if its necessary to hoist all the shop machines back up to avoid the possible water damage.  Since I foolishly determined that the risk of hurricanes was over a couple weeks ago, I lowered them to do some work.  I'll wait as long as possible before going through that drudge again.  I own a lot of come-a-longs.

Same deal here Tom. My shop is "on grade" so little room for guessing. I'm still betting we have nothing to worry about, but NC and up needs to keep a closer eye than I. The low isn't moving as fast as I'd hoped, but I'm hopeful its pressure bleed off, will help steer Joaquin farther east and possibly decrease its intensity.

About 7:00 am and it looks like you're going to get some rain Tom. This stately low is going to draw some tropical energy out of Joaquin, which is just going to feed warm rain to 'ya, so expect some flooding. I'm one of those weather nuts that tracks pressures and stuff, so I'd wait until late this afternoon to see how it turns and how much energy she's going to impart, before tearing into the shop. In all honesty, I think she'll going to track farther out to sea, sparing your area with much surge, but the mid Atlantic and further north may take a tide and surge beating. I also think it's going to take longer to get there than current models suggest, meaning late Sunday morning or early afternoon will be the worst, not Saturday night, so you have some time to prep, if necessary.

We have been deluged with an exceptional amount of rain in September and continuing today with more to come.  None of it is the result of Joaquin so far.  The ground in this area is so waterlogged that even a category one storm would uproot a prodigious number of trees with all that damage.  Like you I track every one of them and adopt a process of preparation tempered with knowledge that there is only so much we can do. It is the price of living in this place we love and where we want to be.  On the other hand, there have been no mud slides, no earthquakes, no major forest fires, no smog and traffic is light.  In addition, the state legislature adjourned yesterday and we are relatively safe from further insults from that bunch for a brief while.

Yep, as I expected, the low is sucking all the tropical energy off the top of Joaquin and just feeding you guys (Carolina's), damn cold fronts. Fortunately, the surge will be modest at best, but given the saturation levels you're now living with, lots of standing water this weekend. Put your boots on Tom.

Probably we have had enough rain in the past month to solve California's problem.  This has normally been a dryer period but not lately.  On th bright side I remember a time in the 1980's when the area around Ft Lauderdale got 26" in a single 24 hour period.  Now, that was rain.  I had planned to sail double in a single/double handed race today but it was cancelled two days ago.  Would have sailed an Echells and both crew  must add to more than 150 years.  We are 152.  Weather looks great here right now but SC looks like they are being drowned.  Lots of Football on the tube.

I lived in Boca Raton until 1982. I remember a storm in 1978 that rained somewhere around 18" in 1 day. Our whole neighborhood was flooded. Fortunately we didn't get any water in our house. There was about 2 feet of water in the street in front of our house, I was able to snorkel in it. We rowed a small homemade boat all around the neighborhood.

We've had a good bit of rain over the past several days with some localized flooding, but it seems that the worst of it hit farther south in South Carolina. Myrtle Beach isn't all that far from me, but they got it a lot worse than I did. Charleston and Columbia seem like they got it worse than me as well.

Hope everyone is safe.