Too old for 2 masts on BRS 15

DISTELTK

I have a BRS  15 and sail on a local lake and trailer each trip.

I built the 3rd mast step and am wondering if the mast is strong enough to support a

lug sail of pproximately the same area?

I am well over 70 and love to sail but two masts and sails to rig for only a few hour sail

is becomming a hinderence and I don't sail as ofter as I would like.

Any info or possible options would be grateful.  I would even concidering selling and gettting

a smaller boat or converting my Birder II to a sailing boat.

Thanks   tom D.  BRS15,Birder II

I started to look at a jprevious post on a yawl rig for CS15 and found a lot of information that may help me.

I wil check out some of that advice.

My only question is are may mast as built stromg enough free  standing to support a 90+ lug sail?

thanks for this great site.

tom d

The main on the cs15 is 59sf I think. I'd guess the b.r.s. is about the same. Lugs tend to be less tall, so less pressure on the partners per square foot. It doesn't sound like you intend to go out in strong winds and hike out for salt in your beard and seaweed in your teeth, so you wont test the mast to its limits. Let me suggest the experiment. Mount a block or eye on your brs mast and try it out. If it bends enough to make you uneasy, plan for a new mast. If it works good, saw the extra off of the top. Or keep it as the most impressive pig stick on the water!

Have you tried sailing with the main in the third mast position? If not, you might want to try that to see how much less work it is to sail with one sail. My CS20 is currently set up with two 90 sq ft balanced lugs. It takes me just as long to set up to go sailing as the sprit sails but the masts are shorter and easier to step. 

• Like 1

I'd like to echo Terry. If you haven't tried sailing with just the main in the center step, you should give it some thought. I was surprised at how well my CS17 sailed on one sail. I had sleeve luffs and just wrapped the sail around the mast. It was very quick to set or store. Also, stepping the mast in the middle of the boat was much easier than in the bow.

If none of this works for you, sell the boat to me.

I'm 71 years old.