Crawfish Tandum Pirogue Frame

Uncle Frosty

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

One more...sorry...it looks like you ended that lower stringer BEFORE the 2nd frame. If I read the book right, is it supposed to meet before or after? While lofting, I noticed there is little room to cut notches in the 2nd frame, so your way would seem to solve my concern. thanks again!

The stringer on the inside is the seat support. The dimensions are shown nearby in the book. I plan to only use that support at seat locations.

The offset chart shows the short stringers attached to the second frame from each end, sketch below. I'm not sure if it would be practical or necessary to attach them to the center stringer.

IMG_20180526_092313.jpg

even-keeled..thanks for the reply. When I did the original lofting, I was concerned because there are a lot of stringers converging in a little space, and I was worried that the plywood wouldn't be strong enough. Then I saw Uncle Frosty's pictures and it looks like he just tied the stringers to the keel before they reached that second frame...

so now I don't know what to do.....

While it would probably be fine either way, my experience with structure says to not end main structure adjacent to other main structure. As built in the FROG photo here, any stress between the center three stringers and the second frame from each end will mostly be concentrated on that 1 or 2 inches of center stringer where all those parts meet. If the short stringers get lashed to the 2nd frame as designed then the stress is more evenly distributed. After the short stringers pass through the second frame, I would radius the stringer ends so they lift off of the skin.

If you're using 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood and lofted per the plan, it should work out well. I tend to overthink solutions like this but I've been happy with my results.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2018 at 8:58 PM, even-keeled said:

After the short stringers pass through the second frame, I would radius the stringer ends so they lift off of the skin.

Yes!  Or even taper the top edge of the end of the string down half way, a more exaggerated version of even-keeled's suggestion.  I did this on the deck stringers of my Ravenswood and the 2nd Curlew I built, worked very well and you avoid a bump in the skin.