How to make a pig-stick for Core Sound boats?

Dale Niemann

Anybody out there have plans or references on how I could make a pig-stick for my CS17.  I want to fly my WCTSS club burgee and the WoodenBoat burgee from my main mast.  I have a general idea how to make one and how they allow the burgees to fly above the mast-top.   I already fly the US flag from the leach of the mizzen.

Thanks in advance.

dale

Here is a picture of my pennant (on mizzen) as I stow it when on trailer.  It is hoisted and rolled as it is faster at the ramp than tying  and hoisting each time.  Note the beautiful bronze cheek block Don Silbe sent me.  It has a matching cleat for tying off.  I turned the stick on my lathe, though a dowel will work just fine.  I put shallow notches in the dowel where the halyard ties on and where the pennant ties on (4 circular notches). I find these pigsticks (if on main for commission pennant) and pennant sticks work best if the distance between where the ends of the halyard attach is greater (1 1/2  X) than the portion above the mast.  Cheek blocks seem best as they keep the halyard and stick close to the mast

post-442-0-53232700-1441750735_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much Dave. 

I thought I had researched a few years ago that the pennants go on the main mast and the US flag goes on the Mizzen or on the leach of the mizzen sail (which is where I have mine).  Am I wrong on this? Actually, I am thinking of flying the burgee for our WCTSS on top and under it flying the WoodenBoat Burgee on a pig-stick on the main mast.  I was even thinking about just going crazy and flying the Jolly Roger below the other two burgees.  I am sure that is probably not nautically correct.

You definitely answered one of my questions "pennant sticks work best if the distance between where the ends of the halyard attach is greater (1 1/2  X) than the portion above the mast."

What diameter are your sticks? It looks like maybe 1/2 inch?

thanks,

dale

The US flag or US marine ensign (fouled anchor instead of 50 stars) should be flown off a short staff at the stern or at the top of the mizzen gaff, or if marconi then 2/3 of the way up the leach of the mizzen.  This is the only protocol I am adamant about.  Everything else is just for fun for me.

Glad to help Dale, but it will be rather difficult to do until October.  I am presently in South Africa on a 3 week holiday.  My present rig is simply tied on, so it doesn't swivel.  I have seen rigs with hardware that allows the pennant or flag to swivel around the stick or allows the stick to swivel at the attachment points for the halyard.  I am still pondering designs for something I might build to accomplish this.  This will be a winter project for me, along with a few other minor over the top doo dads I have been thinking of.  I was hoping to find a pig stick in a consignment shop, even if only to rescue the hardware.  When I get home I will share some sketches of ideas, maybe we can figure out something we can build ourselves.

• 5 years later...

I’m reading through some of the older threads and this one caught my eye.  I had no idea it was a THING. Who knew?  

Pig-stick and Burgee... new words to me for exactly what I was doing at the very end of my Norma T build. My son and I fashioned a red ribbon (a fun little extra red flair to match the hull’s color) on a swivel/grommet at the end of a dowel hoisted by an extra halyard to extend above the main mast.  Ha!!  (From page 11 of my 2020 Core Sound 15 #162 — Building the “Norma T” build-blog:)

5B4AAF20-90CF-4A1B-8722-D79D20CA37A4.thumb.jpeg.29bd31e993f14593f648828a438a8b7c.jpeg

I only hoisted it once before I had to put the boat into winter storage.  

Because of spotting this subject, I looked for some internet references about this and found a nice little write-up: https://www.google.com/amp/s/stingysailor.com/2017/07/15/pig-stick/amp/

Y’all’ve (is that grammatically possible???) inspired me to add a pig stick or two to my BRS 15.  My pennant has often been caught in the lee of the mizzen.  And I was about to stitch an ensign to the leech of the mizzen, but have changed directions.  This could be fun!